My New Oven Is Too Old!

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm by Texas_Rose

sugarlovemom Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Sugar Artists!! I recently moved to a new place that we completly loved...!! everything but the oven... it's way too old... the ones without the window! im used to look trhough the window to see how my piece of art is doing! managment said they wouldn't change it unless its broken... the apt was so gorgeous that we took it and then began my relationship hate-love with the oven, by the time the timer shows should be ready its always uncooked, and if a leave some more it gets burned, and i heard is not good to keep opening the oven door ... we even thought about buying a new one, of course managment said we r not allowed! my husband told me to buy a small one that u can get at walmart for $70 or lessbut im not sure if its gonna be good enough to bake my cakes... please please please people... shut me w our magnificent aknowledges!!!!

5 replies
Kayakado Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 6

there are some new tabletop convection ovens that are a decent size. One of my friends bought one for $150 at Tuesday Morning. I am eyeing it to test bake some canelles in a silicone mold I just got. If I had room I'd get one.

An Amazon search pulls up quite a few.

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know if this helps your situation but I use my table top, toaster over for lots of my cakes..I can bake 9 inch pan no problem but only one at a time. I think one one of the tabletop ovens would work for you but you need to get an oven thermometer either way. My toaster oven cooks faster than my regular over by about 10 minutes. Oh and it's also great for cupcakesicon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 6

I suggest that you buy an oven thermometer before you go to any extra expense with a tabletop one. The temp could be off since it is an older one and then you would have to adjust your baking temp/time. Also, check the elements, they may be old and just burned out.

cheatize Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 6

I agree- check the temp in various places in the oven. It's an inexpensive purchase and you'll have some numbers to tell the landlord when you call to say the oven is not working properly. It may not get replaced, but it should get fixed.

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 6

You can learn to bake with an oven without a window...I was used to having a window and when we moved I had to adjust. The oven I had to get used to was probably 40 years old and the door had no gasket, so the front got really hot whenever I tried to bake. It also only worked to have the burners on or the oven on, if you used both at the same time neither one worked right. I did adjust to it and figured out the timing for the different sizes of cakes.

Then the complex manager asked me to bake her wedding cake. I told her I couldn't without a decent oven. The next day they put in a really nice new oven with a window and digital thermostat and all that icon_biggrin.gif I was almost sad to leave that oven behind when I moved to a house.

The best thing to do would be wait a couple of weeks or a month, since you've already been to the office about the oven. Then go in and tell them it doesn't seem to be keeping constant heat during the baking cycle. Tell them that you know most people don't use the oven anymore, but you use it all the time and you've noticed that it's not working the way it's supposed to, and can they come check it? Then when the maintanence man comes to look at it and can't find anything wrong with it, tell him it usually happens when you've been using it for a couple of hours, baking multiple tiers. Ask if there are any vacant apartments there that they could maybe swap the oven out of to see if it works better. The older complexes that don't replace the appliances regularly are usually willing to swap appliances between units because it doesn't cost them anything to do it and it will get the tenants to quit complaining for a little while, sometimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%