Feedback On My Website

Business By snocilla Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm by snocilla

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 19

I just launched my website! I'm so excited! Can you all look at it and tell me if there is anything you would change? Thanks!

www.HookedOnFondantCakery.com

18 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 19

your link is not working, it brings me to godaddy advertising page

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 19

hmmm... I'll have to look at that...

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 19

Can you try again?

pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 19

yes I tried, same thing, I even tried just typing your web address, same thing

pupandbon Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 19

link worked for me, did have to enable a flash player add on! really cute site, no improvements from me!

Rylan Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 19

Design-wise of the page, I really like it a lot lot lot. Looks great! Love the style and overall look. Of course, your cakes are also nice! My only suggestion is to avoid using flash when taking pictures--but this is only a personal preference so don't let it bother you.

Keep up the awesome work!

cakesdivine Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 19

The link worked for me. The website itself is fine. I think your prices are way too low, and many of your cake might need to be removed as you only want your absolute best work shown on your site. Some of the cakes look like you did them when you were first starting out as a decorator, others are stellar. You don't have to have a ton of cakes or every cake you have ever done on your site. Just put your best work up, You just want to give the clients a few to look at, too many and you will inundate their brains...LOL!

katnmouse Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 19

The link worked fine for me and I'm at school right now where NO links ever work! icon_rolleyes.gif

My only suggestion would be to lengthen the time before your images transition. They are moving too quickly from slide to slide and almost giving me a dizzy feeling. icon_eek.gif You would want folks to be able to "rest their eyes" in different places so that they take in all the detail of your work and that can't happen at such a speedy transition rate.

Reganlynn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 19

I agree, the pictures are moving a bit too fast for my liking and it does start to give you headache after a few minutes. I also agree with deleting a few of your pictures, one in particular where you have spelled birthday incorrectly. Other than that, I like the overall layout of your site, nice job!

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 19

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Reganlynn, thank you so much, I had no idea I had misspelled Birthday, until I went looking for it!
Patticakesnj, someone else told me they got a GoDaddy ad page, so I emailed the hosting company to see if there is some issue.
Rylan, you have no idea how much that means to me, as I am a huge fan of your artistic ability. I'll try to take better pictures. I was thinking about trying a lightbox.

Thanks to everyone else as well! I'm going to take some of the pictures off, and slow down the transition. I'll re-evaluate pricing as well.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 19

I liked your site alot too..Some of the previous suggestions I agree with as well..Some cakes are less professional looking than others and maybe could be deleted.I also don't see the advantage of showing a baking tools (knife,whisk) every second picture of the slide show..I realize it is for effects/originality etc..but kinds distracts from the real purpose people are visiting your site.I also agree that your prices could be a bit higher...I find the Icing/Filling heading a bit confusing..are you offering these as specialty fillings or standard icings available?Also by stating you can make any flavor they want or can think of...Does that mean the price is more for specialty flavors like Guava /mango for example...Are you going to cover the "extra" cost of premium ingredients you will need to get or pass the cost on to the customer?If not you should state that there is an extra cost for Specialty fillings/icings.Not trying to cut you down or anything like that just maybe having you see a different perspective on the site from a outsiders point of view.We are all here to make each of us better!!LOL

metria Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 19

I like it when a store's contact info is on the top frame at all times (e.g. your address and business phone number). I hate having to dig through cakeries web pages to figure out their location and the area they serve.

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 19

KiddieKakes - Do you think I should list specific costs for premium ingredients, or just a small disclaimer underneath saying that some premium ingredients may cost more? I guess I kind of assumed that stating a 'Starting' price would cover that, and that it would be discussed in the consultation. Or should I change 'Pricing is dependent on the complexity of the design' to something like 'Pricing is dependent on the complexity of the design, and may go up for premium flavors'

BTW - I republished with the changes above.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 19

I think you should just state below that some premium fillings will cost more.Not everyone will have a consultation with you and eliminating all assumptions by customers right away that everything costs the same... and it weeds out the possible waste of time people who are just looking for a cheap cake. It saves time for customers who already understand the price up front and if want premium they already know they have to pay extra for it...

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks Kiddiekakes!

jillmakescakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 19

Ok, here goes:

Your About page seems a bit off-- you start off with info about the bakery in general, but then go into stuff about you personally. The stuff about the bakery should probably be on the home page while the personal stuff should be about me.

Ok, so I started to type some info about the grammar and sentence structure for the About Me, but there seems to be a lot that needs to be reworked. If you'd like, I can PM you, but it might be a long one. icon_wink.gif

Also, and I'm not trying to start a debate, but if you are licensed for your home kitchen, you should probably mention that. If you aren't, well then that's a whole different can of worms tapedshut.gif

Your flavors page looks good, but I might choose a different photo for the side, perhaps something that shows off your fondant specialty. Since fondant is your specialty, you may want to put that first on the Icing list. On your pricing, you list that buttercream starts at $2 per serving whereas all of the other prices list $2.50 or $2.75. You should probably change the $2 to read $2.00 to be more consistent.

While I like the background color on the pricing page, it doesn't match the other pages. They all have a blue or white background (I'd vote for blue as the white is a very stark contrast). Also, your fonts/colors are all different. It is only a slight difference, but go through and make sure they are all the same size, color and font. This will give your website a very uniform look.

I also agree that its a good idea to have contact info on each page, whether its at the top or bottom of the page.

While this may seem like a lot to work on, I can say that you've got a great start. The colors are good, not overly done, but still fresh and unique. The logo is cute and the layout looks great.

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks Jill! Yes, do PM me any suggestions or corrections you have. I really appreciate your input!

snocilla Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you all for your help! I made several changes, and I do think it is better now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%