Businesses And Supply Stores In Nc?

Decorating By Mandar Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 4:37am by Mandar

Mandar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 13

I've been trying to find cake decorating supply stores in North Carolina (besides Michael's and other craft stores). Does anyone know of some good ones to go to?

Also, does anyone know where I can find maybe a list of cake decorating bakeries in NC as well? Thanks!

12 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 13

Where are you in NC? I know of one in Newton, but that may be hundreds of miles from you.

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 13

There is one in downtown Clayton

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 13

Does the one in Clayton sell Satin Ice fondant, and if so how much for 5lbs? Oh do they sell butterfly cutters, looking for a small one arond 1 inch? Thanks!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 13

The store in Clayton (large brick building on Main Street, called the NC Paper Company) sells Satin Ice in the small and 5 lbs sizes. I don't know how much they sell them for, as I don't use it, but they have several colors in vanilla and chocolate. The have a huge amount of pans, cutters, and also have a supply RI and GP flowers you can purchase. It's a great place ~ Joyce is wonderful!!! Their number is (919) 553-3313 and they are open Monday through Saturday. (Can you tell I shop there a lot???)

shyann_rayne Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 13

Thnak you, thank you, thank you!!!!

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 13

I love this store & I'm only 10 minutes from it (thats good & bad)! It has so many cake toys! I always get into trouble going there. I don't know of another one in the area like it! The only problem I have is the satin ice is a bit expensive. I want to say it was like $18.99 for a 2lb container of black when I bought some in February. The satin ice prices went up within the past few months. Other than that its an awesome store & the family that runs it are always so nice!!! I wish we had more around here like it!

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:04am
post #8 of 13

I went today and a 5lb pail was marked as $23.99 now. I would suggest ordering things online. NC Paper company is VERY hit or miss on their prices and what they have in stock. 99% of the time I can get the items I need online for a LOT cheaper (including shipping) than there. The ladies there are super nice but I cant see spending 100+% to shop there...... The only butterfly cutter that I saw today was the large Wilton one that can be purchased at Michaels.

shyann_rayne Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:43am
post #9 of 13

Yeah I went Thursday, and found it hit and miss. A little bit of this and that and a whole lot of Wilton. I bought a 2lb bucket of Satin Ice for $16.99 just because I REALLY wanted to try commercial fondant. OUCH! I did get some Tylose and high ratio shortening which I could not find anywhere else. I also got some other various things such as boxs, Americolor, drums, and such. I do not see myself making the hour and fifteen minute drive very often, and I will for dang sure be calling before I go. They seem like really nice folks, just didn't have the variety I had hoped for. Only had a couple molds, no rose petal cutters, or small butterfly cutters. She said lord girl I don't have much of anything your looking for, lol. She did have some small premade gumpaste butterflies, so I also bought them cause I am tried of trying to find a cutter locally icon_cry.gif I REALLY like to support small local businesses when I can but looks like I am still gonna have to order quite a bit.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 13

I love www.cakesupplies4u.com

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 13

I am 2 1/2 hours from the store in Clayton, and have been there a few times, but it just isn't worth it to drive up there and pay those prices for what I need which is usually fondant and americolors. I can order it cheaper from www.fondantsource.com even with the shipping. But occasionally I like to get away and just make the drive to get out of the house and away from the kids for a day.

There isn't a supply store near me in Charlotte that carries much more than Wilton stuff.

horskkj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horskkj Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 13

PaperTown in Raleigh sells a very limited number of things. They are interested in selling more items but I think we just have to keep pushing them so show that there is support.

They are an excellent source for boxes and containers. They just started carrying Satin Ice and had it in a variety of colors. Can't remember the price. They also have Americolor colorants and some flavoring. A big find...they carry high ratio shortening! If your making a special trip for it, call first. She said once word got out they had it, it was flying off the shelves.

Mandar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:37am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Where are you in NC? I know of one in Newton, but that may be hundreds of miles from you.

Whoops... Sorry for the delayed response. Exams and classes and whatnot took away from my internet time. ): But, anyway, really anywhere near the Triangle or the Triad would be lovely. I have no idea where Newton is, but I'm fairly sure I can find a map. [:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%