White Chocolate Buttercream?

Baking By Mandar Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 4:33am by Mandar

Mandar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, everyone! My grandmother's birthday is this weekend and I volunteered to make her birthday cake. In an effort to jazz up her favorite cake (white cake), I decided to attempt to make a white-and-pink lemonade checkerboard cake with raspberry mousse filling and white chocolate buttercream. However, I'm having some trouble finding a recipe for the buttercream that isn't too much like a ganache. Does anyone have any recommendations?

8 replies
saapena Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 9

After looking all over for a white chocolate bc recipe and finding none, I melted a bar of white chocolate and just added it to my bc recipe--it was delicious! I think the white chocolate adds another layer of flavor that people cannot quite tell what it is--they just really like it; it just adds something extra to the bc.

mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

What kind of buttercream are you making? SMBC or crusting bc? For either I just add 6 ounces of melted white chocolate (cooled first but still pourable) to my bc as the final step.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

If you use a crusting buttercream just add some melted white chocolate to your favorite buttercream recipe. You may need to add a little extra liquid, but I do this all the time for chocolate buttercream and haven't had a problem.

Mandar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 9

mamawrobin, I'm making a crusting buttercream.

icer101 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 9

i too, just add melted chocolate to b/c. american or imbc or smbc

mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Mandar

mamawrobin, I'm making a crusting buttercream.

After you have your bc finished add the white chocolate and mix until it is incorporated. Let us know how it turned out for you.

Jewelsx19 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry to jump in...but can you do this white chocolate (like milk chocolate) also? and do you use some coloring to get it a darker brown?

Mandar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #9 of 9

Took a while to post this, but I added melted white chocolate to the buttercream like you guys recommended. The flavor was great, but, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to a stiff enough consistency for my liking. I guess I just need to experiment to get the right balance of white chocolate and buttercream.

Thanks for the help! [:

Quote by @%username% on %date%