White Chocolate Ganache... Is It Worth It?

Decorating By SusD Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm by 2SchnauzerLady

SusD Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 3

As you can see from my number of posts, I am very new to this! But I've been lurking here for a month or so reading EVERYTHING I can. You guys are amazing.

The other day I printed out a list of all the flavors, fillings, and icings I want to try... gave it to my husband and had him "order" a cake.

This is what he chose: Rum cake, coconut custard filling, white ganache icing. I think he's trying to kill me.

Everything went well until the ganache. First problem, when I went to whip it, it went grainy very quickly. Second, white chocolate is expensive and I can't stop being stingy with it! So I didn't make enough. I decided to use it anyway as a "crumb coat." Since it looked horrible, I made another batch to use as a poured ganache. All went well, except the color is not very palatable. Milky yellow? Is it normal to color white ganache? And as I was pouring it and seeing half of the liquid gold land on the foil below, I about had a heart attack. I tried to lick up as much as I could... because what a horrible waste!

I have it in the fridge now and am about to smooth it with my hot knife since it has a lump problem.

I'm telling you, the stuff better be shiny and delicious OR ELSE!

2 replies
Rosie2 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 3

LOL icon_biggrin.gif...I feel your pain. I'm not one of the experts but maybe some of them can give you some advice here. I've used white chocolate ganache myself and lemme tell ya' is expensive!!! provided that I'm just a hobby baker and everything I do is 'free for all' icon_biggrin.gif
But yeah, white chocolate ganache is not necesarilly white and I've used it only when I'm gonna fondant a cake because it helps to give a smooth look otherwise my fondant would always be lumpy. Like I said, I'm NOT one of the experts soooo everything's a struggle for me icon_redface.gif
Oh and in my case, the white chocolate ganache did taste good, but I was told to be carefull not to overheat because it will burn easily...

Ok good luck SusD!! and remember in spite of all the struggles and tribulations it is fun to cake, right? icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 3

I've seen where others mention the brand of white chocolate makes a difference - there was a recent thread where someone wrote they took a class from an expert and he only used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips. I've not made it, I've only made white chocolate buttercream - I used Sugarshack's recipe and replaced the coffee creamer with white chocolate mocha creamer (heated in the microwave, made by International Delights) and added 2 bars of melted ghirardelli white chocolate before I added the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%