Can I Just Use A Box Cake

Decorating By mommynana Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 1:10am by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 10

can i just use a box cake,when i use fondant on it, or do i have to dence the cake first

9 replies
jawalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jawalk Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 10

It would be best to add the pudding and 1 extra egg so that it will be dense enough to handle and firm enough to handle the weight of the fondant....just my opinion.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 10

I usually use box mix and fondant. I do add the box of pudding though. I haven't had any issues. HOWEVER, I did try to cheat once and use canned icing under my fondant. That did not work well. It moved around as I was smoothing the fondant and I ended up with weird bumps everywhere.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 10

I usually use box mix and fondant. I do add the box of pudding though. I haven't had any issues. HOWEVER, I did try to cheat once and use canned icing under my fondant. That did not work well. It moved around as I was smoothing the fondant and I ended up with weird bumps everywhere.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 10

My friend does it all the time. Her cakes seem to hold up just fine.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 10

I use the bettycrocker cake mix straight, without altering it, and I have never had a problem with fondant on my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I use the bettycrocker cake mix straight, without altering it, and I have never had a problem with fondant on my cakes.

same here. Of course it may depend on whether you roll your fondant super thick or not.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_arney

Did you use whipped icing or regular smooth icing? I've used canned icing and it crusts just like buttercream (I give it time to crust before I put the fondant on).

I use box mix and I make it more dense with 1 extra egg, and less water and oil.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 10

I haven't had any problems using a regular box mix.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #10 of 10

dose the home made buttercream iceing work better with the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%