Can I Cut An Edible Image?

Decorating By Rosa2745 Updated 27 Nov 2014 , 1:56am by Vals

Rosa2745 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake to do with an edible image but I need to trim some of the excess part of it. My questions are: Can or should I cut the edible image? Do I cut it before I peal it away from the sheet or after?
I just don't want to ruin it because it's a one shot deal. Thanks so much for any suggestions! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 10

Yes you can cut them before you peel it away for the backing. I do it all the time. Its no problem!

Tiffany29 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, I use a really sharp knife. Cut slowly and carefully before you remove the paper. Good luck!

Rosa2745 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Can I use kitchen scissors or is a knife or blade better? I was gonna cut it with the paper and all but should I just cut it on the surface and leave the paper in tact?

leily Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 10

I use a pair of fabric sheers (of course cake only now) I cut the paper and edible image at the same time. I personally have not had good luck with a sharp knife and the images I have used.

Rosa2745 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, I'll cut it with the paper. Wish me luck because I don't have a backup if I mess it up. LOL! icon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #7 of 10

You should be fine, I use blades or scissors depending on the detail I need

Vals Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 10

I'm also having trouble cutting Lucks edible images sheets.  I bought the plain white sheets so I could print them myself and then cut out the shapes I need.  The paper prints beautifully but when I try to cut them (with very sharp scissors) into 2.75" inch rounds (which no one makes), they are so brittle that they are cracking and breaking.  I got the Lucks because they are supposed to be better for cookies as they are thinner than others - have to do 300 cookies for a Christmas party and I'm starting to panic 'cause I bought several boxes of the paper and don't want to have to throw it out.  Any help gratefully received.

icingimages Posted 27 Nov 2014 , 1:32am
post #9 of 10

Lucks is thicker then some but thinner then our premium sheets.  I am not sure where you are from, but as it gets colder, the air gets dryer and the Lucks as well as the thinner brands will become brittle quicker.  You can try using a cookie cutter so you are pressing to cut and it will work faster.  We sell a 2.5 and a 3" precut circle.  We also offer iPrint a free online printing program for our customers.  I hope this helps.  Feel free to emails [email protected] and ask for a free sample of our Premium Icing Sheets within the contiguous US.  I am sure you will love them. 

Good Luck

Vals Posted 27 Nov 2014 , 1:56am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Debbie, Just realized that the paper from the packet I used, which I had ordered from another supplier had not been sealed properly at the bottom - I'm sure that was the problem.  I had also ordered more boxes of paper and inks from you and when I opened one of yours they are nice and flexible.  I know where I'll be buying my supplies in future.  Yeah for Icing Images!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%