I Just Cannot Make A Carnation!

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 2:31am by ChoueiriCakeCo

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 17

I don't know what the problem is! Carnations seem like one of the easier flowers to make, but no matter how many times I try it just doesn't work! When I use gum paste it cracks when I try to make the ruffled edges, when I'm using fondant it's too soft and just turns into a blob, and the 50/50 method is still too dry and stiff. What am I doing wrong? This flower is driving me crazy icon_cry.gif

16 replies
PinkLisa Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 17

When you frill the edges they do crack but that is a good look for carnations. I have a carnation cake in my photos. I took it to a bridal show and everyone thought they were real.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 17

How thick are you rolling them out? Are you keeping them covered while you are not working with it? How many are you rolling out at a time?

Do you have any pictures of what you have done?

all4cake Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 17

What she said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 17

I have the wilton flower book and am trying to follow the instructions on there (so I've rolled it to about 1/8" thick). With the gumpaste, it's cracking so much that it's falling apart when I try to shape the petals. I know it's too dry but I'm not sure how to fix it (it's premade gumpaste, also by wilton). I have some fondant that I added tylose powder to, so i'll try that and see if it works better.

I would also prefer to make the carnations without having to use a wire. Any idea of how I could achieve this?

Sassy74 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 17

I can't do them either! I have the same problem...can't ruffle the edge for anything. Grrrr. I've literally sat there with a book open to the carnation instructions, looking back and forth at the picture, my flower, the picture, my flower, etc. I've reached the conclusion that I'm NO GOOD at gumpaste flowers PERIOD. I think I'm going to get Nicholas Lodge's basc flowers dvd. It's got to help, lol. Good luck to you!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

How thick are you rolling them out? Are you keeping them covered while you are not working with it? How many are you rolling out at a time?

Do you have any pictures of what you have done?

I don't have any pictures, but I do keep them covered and I'm using the wilton circle cutters and cut out only 3 at a time (But I couldn't even get those three pieces to work).

TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 17

I'm not sure how they are done in that book, but I do teach them in the Wilton Fondant and gumpaste class.

When I roll my gumpaste out of the petals I roll it paper thin. I don't use the pink o rings, as I think it is better if you do go thinner than that. You want to be able to see through them. If they are too thick it doesn't want to thin on the edges and the shape distorts.

Another thing could be if you are pushing down to hard when you are doing the edges. It is hard to explain how hard is hard enough though.

What do you mean it is cracking so much when you try to shape the petals? (Again I don't know how the directions in that book go.)

Don't roll out too many at a time, and keep them covered while you are working on them. The air will dry it out. If your gumpaste feels a little dry, put a smear of crisco on your hands and work it into the gumpaste.

In the Fondant & Gumpaste book you actually make a carnation base that is not on a wire or anything.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 17

When I try to ruffle the edges it kinda just cracks or breaks off. I've been adding crisco but it's still not helping. I'm trying with the fondant and tylose but it's still a bit too soft. I'll try to soften up the gumpaste again and try what you said.

Thank you all so much!

PinkLisa Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 17

It sounds like you might have a gumpaste problem. If you roll the toothpick to hard, the edges will break off.

all4cake Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 17

I mix fondant and gumpaste...no specific ratio...just 'til it works like I want it to. I roll out 5 circles per flower. Until you get the hang of it, I wouldn't roll any more than 5 discs at a time. Once you get the groove for it, add more increments of 5...keeping them all under plastic until ready to ruffle...remove one at a time to ruffle. Place a disc on the thin foam square, using the tool with the ball on one end and the curve on the other, wiggle it side to side in sections around the outer edge of the disc, until all is frilled. Placed completely frilled disc onto the thick foam pad. Make 4 more of the frilled discs. Once you have 5, place a bit of gum glue in the center of 4 of the discs. Stack them on top of each other...ending with the one without glue. While they're stacked on the thick foam, take the ball end of the tool and press in center. Lift up the stack, still on the end of the ball tool...remove it from tool end, brush some glue on the inside and a bit on one side of the outside. Fold toward the glued on the outside. Bring the bottom side together, while rolling it between your fingers (this creates the elongated area where the calyx will go. Nestle carefully in a clean styrofoam egg carton(I position them in those recessed area between egg holes so that the calyx area doesn't get bent).

TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 17

Sounds like it might be getting too dry. Are you working new a fan or under a ac/heating vent?

Are you rolling the gumpaste out on cornstrach or powder sugar?

Personally I like to roll them out on the practice board. On it I don't have to use anything to keep it from sticking but you can always use a little smear of crisco too.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 17

I can do the ruffling, but the problem is my gumpaste. It's so dry and dries out after only about a minute (I don't have any fans or heat on). It wasn't this dry when I first used it and I'll probably have to make or buy a new batch. I do have some fondant that may hold it's shape, so I'll be trying that along with all of these helpful tips. I'm taking a break before I lose my mind icon_lol.gif Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Ren715 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #14 of 17

I'd start with a new batch of gumpaste. Wilton sells a can of the gumpaste powder that just needs water added. It's very easy. I use my 40% off coupon from Michaels. For storage, I wrap my gumpaste (and fondant) in seran wrap and then place in a ziplock bag away from any sunlight. For long storage of the gumpaste, I think Wilton says to put it in the refrigerator. Also, make sure that whenever you use your gumpaste you spend some time working it in your hands until it softens. Other than that, it's just practice, practice, practice until you get the hang of it. Some people can pick it up easy, some have to work harder but either path will bring you to the same exact place! HTL

Elcee Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm not sure how they are done in that book, but I do teach them in the Wilton Fondant and gumpaste class.

ChoueiriCakeCo, I don't know if this helps or not but I have made carnations according to the instructions in both the Gumpaste Flower book and the Fondant and Gumpaste class and the ones from the Fondant and Gumpaste class were much easier and, IMHO, much prettier.

chrissypie Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #16 of 17

I have a major problem with them too. When I try to ruffle the edges it just smooshes or spreads, not ruffle! I that problem while doing the Rubrum Lily as well.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren715

I'd start with a new batch of gumpaste. Wilton sells a can of the gumpaste powder that just needs water added. It's very easy. I use my 40% off coupon from Michaels. For storage, I wrap my gumpaste (and fondant) in seran wrap and then place in a ziplock bag away from any sunlight. For long storage of the gumpaste, I think Wilton says to put it in the refrigerator. Also, make sure that whenever you use your gumpaste you spend some time working it in your hands until it softens. Other than that, it's just practice, practice, practice until you get the hang of it. Some people can pick it up easy, some have to work harder but either path will bring you to the same exact place! HTL

That's the same gumpaste I have now, If I get a chance I'll buy a new batch. It worked very well when I first bought it, maybe I over microwaved it when I was trying to get it to soften?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

...I have made carnations according to the instructions in both the Gumpaste Flower book and the Fondant and Gumpaste class and the ones from the Fondant and Gumpaste class were much easier and, IMHO, much prettier.

I wish I could take classes! That may be what I need, these flowers are a pain to learn on my own icon_rolleyes.gif I'll try with new gumpaste and practice, practice, practice!

Thanks again, everyone thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%