Pillars And Plates... What Is Best For The Beginner?

Decorating By dianab Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 1:05am by ttehan4

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 15

I am making my first wedding cake icon_surprised.gif . The bride wants the top 6'' layer up on pillars to separate from the 14'' and 10'' layers which will be stacked. I have NO idea what to get. It looks like there are soooo many options. What is the best for the beginner to minimize the possibility for disaster?

Thanks! icon_razz.gif

14 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 15

Use SPS...hands down it's THE BEST PERIOD.

There is a sticky at the top of the "How Do I" forum.

And congrats on your first wedding cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 15

Absolutely SPS. You'll need the multi-piece legs for the separation and the regular GC-4S for the stacked part. Those all come pre-cut.

If you want to cut your own, then buy the 9" legs.

dianab Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 15

Does SPS stand for something?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 15

For the top tier, these are the easiest: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119FF-475A-BAC0-56858282E1C02DE1&fid=63EB9DD6-475A-BAC0-5CC92A385169EC6C
Push in pillars. Just push them in the cake and set the top tier cake plate on top (once you arrive at the location).

These weren't available when I first started and I SO wish they had been.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 15

Indy, I was wondering, you know me...DUMMY icon_sad.gif ....how these held a cake up, I mean if its pointy and we know thngs like that tend to make things lean....BUT...as you said ONCE YOUR AT THE EVENT...PLACE THEM....

do they leave wide gaps on top of the cake it was stuck too? icon_confused.gif as in we have to fill in those gaps?....and can you use them for every single tier, bottom on up? as in the weight of the cake wont matter?

Ive got my michaels coupon ready!!! 50% off today!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 15

I've used them for 4 tier cakes with no problems. THe ends are not pointy ... they are flat. The legs are tapered so when it's inserted into the cake, there is no "big hole" or "big gap" around the legs. (I usually piped some simple rosebuds or other BC flowers around the base anyway, though.)

2txmedics Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks Indy!!! ok, today is a Michaels run....for another Wilton product...lol

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianab

Does SPS stand for something?

Single Plate System icon_smile.gif

dianab Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks everyone for all the information! I really appreciate it. It is all very useful! I am really nervous about this, but on the other hand so many people do it successfully that it can't be too difficult!

Thanks again!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 15

I'm one that does not like the Wilton tapered legs. (Sorry Indy) The tapering scares the crap outta me. I've used 'em. Won't use 'em again.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 15

I have a bride that has requested this cake. It has the push in legs. I've been nervous about them too. Ive not used them before and was wondering about the stability at the venue. Am I wrong to assume that the top tiers are just balanced on the pillars? I dont see how the plates attach to the push in pillars.

Any advice on this cake would be appreciated.
LL

ttehan4 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 15

Okay after looking at the photo, the tier with the broken pillars it looks like there is a little piece on the bottom of the plate that goes into the top of the pillar. You can see it balancing that top tier to the top of the broken pillar. Maybe I just have the wrong plates.

2txmedics Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 15

I saw this cake about 2wks ago, and I was wondering how in the heck you could accomplish this.....I mean how does the cake not slide off the platter for one....and then the biggie...how do you get that top tier like that?

ttehan4 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #15 of 15

I don't think the top will be hard. It will be rice crispies. I plan to run skewers through the tier and down the pillars on the left side. I think its just balanced there on the right side. If all else fails ... hot glue..lol!

The pillars just have me worried because I haven't used the push in. Maybe I should start a new thread with opinions on creating this thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%