Maroon Coloring

Decorating By aggiebaker16 Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 3:25am by mcdonald

aggiebaker16 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake for my graduation from Texas A&M and was wondering the best way to get my fondant the color Maroon. Any suggestions? should i buy red fondant and color it from there or what?? thanks and gig'em!

8 replies
metria Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 9

my co-worker accidentally got maroon when he added red to his chocolate buttercream. i'm sure you can certainly buy coloring gel in maroon, but that might work in a pinch.

he has his photos here:
http://lonniesdessertkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/wilton-course-1-class-3-complete.html

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 9

Welcome to CC! Congrats on your graduation!

Americolor actually sells a maroon color.

Or you can use this...http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589750-mixing.html+chart

Could help me understand the phrase 'gig'em!'. Not trying to be disrespectful, I just don't know what it means. My background, that phrase involves dark nights with extremely bright spot lights, a spear like apparatus and frogs.

metria Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 9

hahaha i knew the aggie way but had to google "gigging" frogs ... this one site says:

Quote:
Quote:

Frog gigging is simple, equipment wise. You need a paddle boat, a gig, and a .22 rifle.

fidos_mom Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:03am
post #5 of 9

WHOOP!!!

As a former student, I might be able to shed some light on this one. lol

You are right as to what "gigging" actually is. It is hunting frogs at night using a type of pitchfork/trident looking thing. BUT the Aggies have used this saying after playing a game against the TCU Horned Frogs in 1906. This was a cry to attack them accompainied by the thumbs up sign. Coincedentally this was also the first hand sign of the Southwest Conference.

So, Gig 'em Aggies! WHOOOP!!!!!! LOL

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidos_mom

WHOOP!!!

You are right as to what "gigging" actually is. It is hunting frogs at night using a type of pitchfork/trident looking thing. BUT the Aggies have used this saying after playing a game against the TCU Horned Frogs in 1906. This was a cry to attack them accompainied by the thumbs up sign. Coincedentally this was also the first hand sign of the Southwest Conference.

Thank you fidos mom! I've lived in TX for 12 years and seriously too embarrassed to ask the question.

aggiebaker16 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 9

thank yall so much for your help! i appreciate it!!!!! ill let you know how the cake turns out! thanks and gig'em!

metria Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidos_mom

WHOOP!!!

Thank you fidos mom! I've lived in TX for 12 years and seriously too embarrassed to ask the question.

I just quizzed my brother and his wife (both Aggies) about "gig 'em". He didn't remember what the story was but my sister-in-law worked freshman orientations so she told me how it all started!

mcdonald Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #9 of 9

I am making a groom's cake and it is going to be a Texas a&m cake with all their sayings on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%