Finally Legal...where To Get Business?

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:32am by ladyonzlake

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 18

I have road block! I'm not sure where else to go for business advertising. I don't have the money to really advertise (mags, newspaper...) I have myself on all the free wedding.coms. I started branching out to local business's, but have yet to get anything. My ultimate goal is to land a client that will order from me ongoing (each week). I have found most places get their items from Fred Meyer or Costco, how can I beat thier prices!!! I am feeling very discouraged right now....Need suggestions.

17 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 18

You can't beat their prices, so don't try. Just offer better product and price it accordingly.

As for the advertising...Facebook!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 18

I agree facebook is a great place to advertise. Good luck to you! Where are you located?

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 18

Your product is going to be way, way better than anything you can buy in Costco so don't worry about price matching them just push your quality and uniqueness.

I too am wondering where to go next with my advertising, print is so expensive and nobody has a good thing to say about the returns!

jammjenks - do you have a Facebook Fan Page? I'm not really sure how these work icon_confused.gif

Julie

jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMaidenUK

jammjenks - do you have a Facebook Fan Page? I'm not really sure how these work icon_confused.gif

Julie

I do. You can go to my page and click on the "create a page for my business" link on the left under my profile pic. After that it is pretty much fill-in-the-blanks. I get more business from FB than any other advertising I've ever done...AND IT'S FREE! Can't beat that!

Here's the link to my page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Taylorsville-NC/Three-Forks-Cakes/190010975003?ref=ts

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the link jammjenks - your cakes look fab.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread FH_Cakes!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH_Cakes

I have road block! I'm not sure where else to go for business advertising. I don't have the money to really advertise (mags, newspaper...) I have myself on all the free wedding.coms. I started branching out to local business's, but have yet to get anything. My ultimate goal is to land a client that will order from me ongoing (each week). I have found most places get their items from Fred Meyer or Costco, how can I beat thier prices!!! I am feeling very discouraged right now....Need suggestions.

Oh my gosh! I was thinking of starting a thread on this very topic! I, too, have done the same things you described (e.g. going to businesses, free or low cost advertising) and have had the same challenges. We have a number of farmer's markets where I live and I have paid to be a vendor at some to sell smaller items like cookies, cupcakes, and mini cakes w/limited success. I've done a lot of freebies and people rave about them, but it has NOT resulted in follow up business. My DH thinks that when people get something for free, it diminishes its value--even if they like it. Maybe he's right...?

So, I am interested in what others have to say as well and want YOU to know that you are not alone in your challenges!

FH_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree facebook is a great place to advertise. Good luck to you! Where are you located?

I am in Vancouver, WA. I have 3 direct competitors within 10 miles of me too!

FH_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

Julie

I do. You can go to my page and click on the "create a page for my business" link on the left under my profile pic. After that it is pretty much fill-in-the-blanks. I get more business from FB than any other advertising I've ever done...AND IT'S FREE! Can't beat that!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Taylorsville-NC/Three-Forks-Cakes/190010975003?ref=ts

How do you get people to fan your page. All I have are my friends. When ever I try to spread the word, I have to friend them first...What am I missing? LOVE your cakes by the way!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 18

ID posted a great tip awhile back. Instead of giving $$ off, add value. Example.. offer free cookies or a mini cake with new orders. It doesn't have to be a big deal. A dozen huge chocolate chip cookies or a pan of brownies doesn't cost a lot to make and will showcase your other products. Cake truffles is another example...you can even make them from the trimmings from the client's cake and change it up with a different flavor icing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

ID posted a great tip awhile back. Instead of giving $$ off, add value. Example.. offer free cookies or a mini cake with new orders. It doesn't have to be a big deal. A dozen huge chocolate chip cookies or a pan of brownies doesn't cost a lot to make and will showcase your other products. Cake truffles is another example...you can even make them from the trimmings from the client's cake and change it up with a different flavor icing.

I like this idea.

jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

Julie

How do you get people to fan your page. All I have are my friends. When ever I try to spread the word, I have to friend them first...What am I missing? LOVE your cakes by the way!

For starters, I invited all of my friend list to join my fan page. Lots of people found me because their friend (who was my friend) joined. They got to looking around and joined too. When I have a customer call to inquire, I start out by asking if they've seen my website or FB fan page. It has really just grown from there.

jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 18

Where are my manners? icon_redface.gif

Thank you FH for the nice compliment on my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 18

what kind of ideas for marketing and advertising did you address in your biz plan?

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 18

Many people around here advertise on craigslist

FH_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

what kind of ideas for marketing and advertising did you address in your biz plan?

Honestly, I didn't do a biz plan. I made a few spreadhseets on my projected/needed income, but this is all. I am really only part-time for now, once I get a store front I will need a biz plan for sure.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 18

As you are finding out, sales and marketing is an important part of doing business....it's doesn't matter if you are part time or a "full time store front". As you are finding out, having or not having a store front doesn't negate the need for a sales/marketing plan.

I would start writing the biz plan now. Sometimes it takes weeks, months (or even a couple of years) to put one together.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #18 of 18

I have a facebook page also but most of my business comes from The Knot. $120 a month and it more than pays for itself. Bridal shows and connecting with other vendors also helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%