Mickey Ears?

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm by mommynana

TPACakeGirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to make a last minute Mickey Mouse cake. I would like to make the top tier a Mickey hat (the black 1/2 ball hat with the ears). How do I get the ears to stick to the cake and sit upright? I'm afraid they will fall over.

9 replies
Ronbob1984 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 10

I made some and used chocolate fondant colored black. I cut them out thick,dried them and used toothpicks to hold them up. I also pushed them into the cake some. They are in my pix.

poohsmomma Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 10

I made a pair and added a thin craft stick to the back which I covered with another layer of fondant. After it all dried, I stuck the ears down into the hat.

Actually I've done this twice and learned from my mistakes...The first time, my hat was cake and the ears were on sucker sticks. I stuck the sticks in at an angle, the weight of the ears pulled them down, and they ripped right through the cake. The second time I made the hat out of RKT and used the skinny craft sticks and everything held up fine.

mommynana Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 10

i know someone that cut circles in the fomdant let them dry in the fridge a couple of hours then slid the cake put the ears in held them with tooth picks and just went around the ears with black frosting to hide the tooth picks and help the ears stay up

TPACakeGirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

How long should I let the fondant ears dry? Is this something I should make a week in advance?

Also, I was planning on making the actual hat part out of cake. After reading poohsmomma's comment, I'm wondering if that is a good idea. Can I attach the ears to the cake with sticks if they are dry enough?

pearlydi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 10

My last cake was a Mickey Mouse hat. For the ears I cut 2 thick circles and i used a candy stick to hold them. I let it dry for two days. Here is my pic : http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1626191

Shannie13 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 10

What about chocolate lollypops that you can ice with the the black frosting. I like to have everything edible on my cake so I don't have to give instructions on deconstructing my cakes. Depending on size you may be able to get away with the lollypops and they would stick in the 1/2 circle as well. Just a thought icon_wink.gif

babykonst Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 10

hi there, ive done this before (like all the rest) cut 2 thick circles of black fondant, an for the hat part i used a half a styrofoam ball covered in plastic wrap, then covered in fondant, i didnt make them too far ahead, i actually made them the day of, just before i started baking, and for the ears, i cut a little off the bottom before they dried, by the time i was ready to attach them, they were dry and i just used toothpicks, and inserted, i think slicing a little off the bottom helped with the dome shape of the hat part, hope this helps, see my pics if you like

TPACakeGirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

These are all good ideas. Maybe I will make a few different ears out of different things and see which works best when I get to that part. I am planning on making the hat out of cake though.

mommynana Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 10

hi, tpacakegirl, i tried the mickey mouse hat and i made the cake in a small boul came out perfect, turn it upside looked great, i just tried it untill i make the real cake, but i had no problem, for the ears i did cut 2 circles in fondant and they dried within 2 hours..... hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%