Transporting A Cake A Long Way!

Decorating By LadyinaRedApron Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm by indydebi

LadyinaRedApron Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 10

I will be transporting a cake to my in-laws which are located 7.5 hours away. I will be making an easter basket cake. Buttercream icing with fondant accents. Is the basketweave going to be destroyed in transport? Should I transport the cake only and decorate it there? Any suggestions or advice?

9 replies
ptanyer Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 10

Are you going to be comfortable in taking a plain cake and decorating somewhere else? I am afraid that the cake will settle (and it will settle as you travel, I don't know how to prevent it) and mess up your basketweave. Maybe someone else has some suggestions...

leily Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 10

I have transported 6 hrs, once completed and once i decorated there (in a hotel room)... here are the best pieces of advice i can give you.

Transporting to decorate there:
1) Freeze your cakes and put in cooler frozen
2) have ALL fillings and icings made and ready to use (and make sure you have enough-i'd rather bring some home if i need too)
3) Pack the kitchen sink... well ok, not literally, but go through EVERYTHING you'll need to make the cake and make sure you bring it with you.

Transporting already decorated.
-You said it is an easter basket, if you have a handle i would transport that flat and insert into the cake once there.
-I decorate the day before and give it at least 12 hrs in the fridge, a cold cake travels better
-make sure it's not in the direct sunlight, if this means putting it in a rubbermaid container with a lid, then it's the best thing to do.

As for the basket weave, i don't see why it would be damaged, but make sure you bring some extra icing and your tips (and flowers or other decoartions you have on the cake incase you have to do some last minute repairs)

11cupcakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 10

I took basket cake to my in-laws last year. It had buttercream icing just like yours, I just put it into good cardboard box and had an airconditioner in my car. It looked great when it arrived. Some people suggest to put dry ice on top of the box.

kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 10

Buttercream basketweav should travel just fine. I think the longest trip I took w/decorated cakes was like 5 hours. It does depend a bit on the weather in the area. I would't suggest dry ice. Really don't see any need. Putting a decorated cake in tubberwear in a warm car is a recipe for trouble icon_sad.gif A slightly larger box w/allow air to circulate and help keep it cool. If it is very warm when you are ready to leave you might consider dampening some towels & fz them well to help keep the cake cool. Put the finished cake in a cake box, then in a lgr box put the towels & cake box. Yes, the towels will defrost quickly but the dampness will also help keep the cake cool longer.
Personally, if there is any way you could decorate there I would. As leily said, freeze the cakes - depending on the filling ofchoice you can even fill before fzing. Wrap well and transport in a chilled cooler. (Maybe put some ice in the cooler overnight then empty & dry before adding cake & icing.
Please be forwarnedicon_smile.gif There is *always* something you forget then need when you decorate away from home. So make a list and check it twice, then check it twice more making *sure* you have everything you might possibly needicon_smile.gif

LadyinaRedApron Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 10

Okay so if I do the basketweave on the sides, stick the entire cake in the fridge for at least 12 hours before leaving and then make sure it travels in a safe place I should be okay? Also, do you think I could use the frozen towel or ice packs (maybe) in a cooler on the outside of a cake carrier with the cake inside... would that keep it cool but in a safe way?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

CarolAnn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:15am
post #7 of 10

I use basket weave as often as I can. I just love it! I refrigerate my finished cakes for several hours to overnight whenever possible. If your bc isn't too soft you should be fine transporting your cake finished and boxed. Make sure your cake is sitting on a level surface where nothing can fall on or against it. Get some of the non slip/skid rolled shelf liner and use it in your box (under the cake plate) AND under the box in trunk or back of car so it won't scoot. Boy I love that stuff!! I also use Wal Mart's stretchable plastic wrap to seal the openings around my boxes to protect cakes from car dust and dirt.

I do NOT like having to decorate cakes in someone else's kitchen. When transporting you have to remember you have a cake/cakes in the car. Sounds silly that you could forget maybe, but you have to mind your driving p's and q's when you have a cake riding. You don't want you basket weave to shimmy of your cake. I have never had a problem with a cake settling during transport. Likely because I refrigerate mine and that makes them more stable than freshly baked and iced cake.

P.S. I am not far from you. I am in Richmond, KS, which is just south of Ottawa. I can point you to a cake club if you're interested. PM me if you are.
Carol

momofthreeboys909405 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 10

How would I transport a wedding cake from NC to IA almost done decorated but will put it together when I get there. HELP!

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 10

I made a basketweave design for my nephew's wedding, drove it over 4 hours, and it was for an outdoor wedding. totally decorated before I left my place. No pre-refrigeration. No coolers. No super-high air conditioning in the car. All went fine.

here's the cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=113113

My icing is a crusting BC. Once it's set, it's set. Doesn't melt. during the drive, I even had direct sunlight coming in the windows onto the cakes for a while ..... not a problem.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 10

I made a basketweave design for my nephew's wedding, drove it over 4 hours, and it was for an outdoor wedding. totally decorated before I left my place. No pre-refrigeration. No coolers. No super-high air conditioning in the car. All went fine.

here's the cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=113113

My icing is a crusting BC. Once it's set, it's set. Doesn't melt. during the drive, I even had direct sunlight coming in the windows onto the cakes for a while ..... not a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%