Disco,petal And Highlighter Dusts???

Decorating By therese379 Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm by AlanT

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 3

hi alan... not to sure on all the different uses for the many dusts... is there a info sheet available to help???? also, what would I buy if I wanted to paint fondant gold,silver or any solid color??? not to sure.. I have to make a ipod cake in silver... thanks therese

2 replies
pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:41am
post #2 of 3

i would be interested in this info too!

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 3

I have been wanting to write about dusts for a long time. I will try to briefly explain the differences here.

Petal Dusts create a flat coloring on gumpaste and can be brushed on dry or mixed with water to paint. You can create very deep colors with petal dusts and they will completely cover white gumpaste is you use enough dry dust.

Luster and Pearl Dusts create a shiny or pearl like finish. These are best applied as an color enhancer or accent as they will not completely cover or hide the color of the gumpaste under them. You can also dissolve these dusts in alcohol or lemon extract to paint.

Highlighters are non edible and should only be used on items that will be removed from the cake. If mixed with alcohol or lemon extract, you can paint pieced to have a metallic gold or silver appearance.

Sparkle Dust have a larger grain then luster or petal dust and are used to add a little color and sparkle to a decoration. They will not cover the color of the paste below them.

I hope this helps! Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%