Is Gum Paste Almost The Same As Fondant?

Decorating By Raychel77 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm by enoid

Raychel77 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. Im new to cake decorating. Im making my 5th cake for Easter for my family. Ill be covering it in fondant but will be trying my first figures. Im going to make bunnies for the top and a chick for the bottom. Im wondering if I should use fondant or gum paste. And how is gum paste different than fondant other than it dries harder and faster? Do you color it the same.....any info greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 replies
Roxybc Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 4

I'd also like to know what is better for making flowers because I've used MMF to make some nice flowers with cutters and molds, and then I dust them with lustre dust, but after I put them on my buttercream swirls the MMF flowers start to soften up from the moisture in the BC and then the lustre dust dissoves/dissapears.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 4

Gumpaste will dry rock hard, where as fondant will harden but it does take a longer time. Gumpaste works well for flowers and modeling because of the drying factor.

You can color it just as you would fondant, and you can even mix it with fondant for a little bit of a slower drying time

Roxy, did you happen to close the cupcakes up in something air tight with the MMF on them?

enoid Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

Gum Paste is fondant with Tylose added to it to make it firmer and dry harder. You can make it yourself or buy it.
edited to add: If you make your own let wrap it well in plastic wrap and let it rest 24 hours before using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%