cakiemommie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of

Hey everyone! So, I know that some recipes call for chocolate chips in the cake batter... can i do that with any cake? I'm making a peanut butter cake from a butter cake box mix and i'm wondering if i can just throw some chocolate chips in there. Will they just sink to the bottom? any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

6 replies
Babarooskie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of

You could do it, but I don't recommend it. If you are going to, then use the mini ones...
If not, add the chocolate chips about 5-7 minutes before done baking.

ArtieTs Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of

Since you're starting with a mix you can reserve a little of the mix & toss the chips in it & stir into the batter before you pour. That way they don't sink to the bottom of the cakes. HTH. Good Luck!

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of

You can, but be careful if you're stacking the cake -- dowels like to hit things like chocolate chips and nuts, thus destabilizing the cake.

beemarie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of

I add chocolate chips to a Mocha cake I make, and I chop them very finely. That way they don't sink to the bottom, and it works just fine.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of

If it is a thicker batter it won't hurt a thing and they will stay in place while baking.

mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #7 of

Some say to toss with a little flour before adding. I like the idea of using a little of the mix as mentioned in one of the post above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%