Lavender For Baking

Baking By iris219 Updated 4 May 2010 , 2:38am by IrisOlive

iris219 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone used lavender for baking there cakes? If so, where do you get your lavender from? From your gourment grocery store or do yo order on line? Want to try to make a lavender cake with the lavender taste for Easter and just wanted to know if anyone has tried this. Would you be willing to share any of your recipes?

10 replies
prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

You should be able to purchase dried lavendar in the spice aisle at the grocery store. Be careful not to use too much or whatever you put it in will taste like soap.

iris219 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Be careful not to use too much or whatever you put it in will taste like soap.

ok, thank you.

Bannette Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 11

Did you ever try to use the lavender? If so, what was the recipe you used?

iris219 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannette

Did you ever try to use the lavender? If so, what was the recipe you used?

No, I haven't found the lavender so far. I'm still looking.

CakeandDazzle Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

amoritti has lavendar flavoring....

tilly41 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 11

I ordered mine online at www.purplescentlavender.com. They have culinary lavender and I think it's pretty reasonably priced.

iris219 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilly41

I ordered mine online at www.purplescentlavender.com. They have culinary lavender and I think it's pretty reasonably priced.

Thank you.

Bannette Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:18am
post #9 of 11

Well I got too curious and went to the store, I actually found some at my local supermarket by McCormick. I tried it in a recipe tonight for lemon-lavender cake and took it with me to Relay for Life, to honor the survivors (they wear purple). I put in a little purple food coloring so it came out a pretty lavender color. It was different but good. One of the girls said it tasted like Fruity Pebbles. I thought it tasted like a lavender tea I drink so I liked it. Another person thought it had rosemary in it. I think next time I will use a little more lemon zest, it needed a touch more citrus. I used cream cheese filling so maybe if I used a lemon buttercream or something. It is something I will be trying again and experimenting with.

iris219 Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 11

I was watching one of the cake challenges and one of the ladies use lavendar cake (purple in color) with rasberry filling. The judges thought it was good but one of them said that she was looking for lavendar filling to go with the cake. Don't know how that would work, since everything I've read states that you need to make sure you use a very small amout because the flavor is very strong.

Bannete- glad to hear you gave it a try. What a great combination. If someone thought it tasted like Fruity Pebbles then I guess you can probably use it for a kids cake.

A new specialty type of supermarket opened up by my house so I think I'm going to try and see if they have it there. If not then I will use the web site mentioned by tilly41.

IrisOlive Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #11 of 11

I just made my own lavendar syrup today, and tried to flavour my cake, but the flavour wasnt strong enough! I've decided to just put the flavouring in the buttercream instead. I love lavendar though, so delicious and unique!!

I especially love it in creme brulee, i steeped the leaves of a lavendar plant (freshly plucked) in my cream as it scalded, and the flavour REALLY came through. Give it a try!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%