Opinon On Orange Creamsicle Cake

Baking By Donnawb Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm by djs328

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

I've never made (or eaten) an orange creamsicle cake. I'm going to make one for Easter from one of the recipes on this site. Do these cakes have a very strong "orangey" flavor? I was going to make it with the Wilton checkerboard pan, and do half orange creamsicle and the other half vanilla cake. Will you still be able to taste the orange if I pair it with a vanilla cake? Thanks for your input!

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not crazy about orange anything but my family loves it. I make it for them quite often. I add a little orange color gel to give it a prettier color. It's my daughter's favorite. I think it would be fine paired with vanilla. The orange would be pretty for Easter. I'm making one for the kiddos.

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not crazy about orange flavor either, but I do like things that taste like orange creamsicle bars. I thought it would be something different for Easter. What filling do you use?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 8

I use Indydebi's buttercream because that's what my kids like the most icon_smile.gif I so use a tsp. of real orange extract along with the vanilla in my bc when making it for this cake.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 8

I've made it a couple of times and love it. It tastes like orange creamsicle yogurt - think orange cream soda without the fizz. Yes, I think if you made it checkerboard with vanilla cake, you'd still get the flavor. And if you flavor the icing orange like momawrobin wrote, for sure it would be good.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 8

it's one of my most popular flavors!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 8

I have made it and I like it, also got rave reviews when I made it for my granddaugher's first birthday last year. I used chocolate Bettercreme for the filling and it was so darn good. I love orange and chocolate. It had a good flavor and you could taste the orange but if you are adding another cake flavor by doing the checkerboard thing I am sure that it will diminish the orange flavor a little.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8

My family and friends LOVE it! It isn't super orange-y, IMHO...It's quite a popular request here! I've paired it with a vanilla mousse w/a tiny bit of LorAnn orange oil. Very fresh tasting, not at all heavy! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%