Can Someone Help A Newbie With A B2B's Engagement Cake Idea

Decorating By kellyanne1981 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm by kellyanne1981

kellyanne1981 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have agreed to do a friends engagement cake for her, and she wants 2 tier jam sponge cake (i was thinking maybe 12 & 10") stacked ontop of each other and about 2 dozen cupcakes. now i might be being daft, maybe its nerves, but i just dont know how i should stack / display it all? she wants to feed 150, should i advise her on more cupcakes? what type of cake stand should i use? has anyone got any pics for inspiration? some direction would be appreciated......thanks for taking the time to read this!

Kel

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

that gives you 94 wedding size servings, or 68 party servings. plus the 24 cupcakes is either 128 or 72, not enough either way. i imagine she will be happy with the wedding serving size.

id say maybe change the number of teirs, 12-10-8 would give 128, so id say thats just right. (although would people want a cupcake and a bit cake? and i think big cakes with a few cupcakes look weird)

so maybe id lean towards more cupcakes - then you can have a cupcake tower, and if its supportive the cake on top, or just the cake on a little stand surrounded by a sea of cupcakes, that can look cool. but its kinda tricky baking a lot of cupcakes, although you wouldnt have to do too much more.
xx

kellyanne1981 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for your reply brincess......i still think the big cake and cupcakes will look wierd. i will have to sit down with her and chat!! thanks again for your reply
kel xx

Sagebrush Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

that gives you 94 wedding size servings, or 68 party servings.




Well, party servings are based on a 2" high cake. Either way (1"x2"x4" for weddings or 2"x2"x2" for party, a serving size is 8 square inches of cake) If you're doing 2 layer tiers (~4" high), then use the wedding numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

plus the 24 cupcakes is... 128... not enough.




Nope, doesn't quite cover the number of servings she asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

id say maybe change the number of teirs, 12-10-8 would give 128, so id say thats just right.




It's 118... I had to pull the calculator out for that one. Nevertheless, still not as many servings as she wanted. If you can change to a 3 tier cake, a 10-12-14 would give you 172, which more than covers the requested servings. If she prefers the look of a 2 tier, I'd suggest making satellite cakes or kitchen to make up the difference, and going with a 6-10 or an 8-10, in order to have nice proportions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

(although would people want a cupcake and a bit cake? and i think big cakes with a few cupcakes look weird)

so maybe id lean towards more cupcakes - then you can have a cupcake tower, and if its supportive the cake on top, or just the cake on a little stand surrounded by a sea of cupcakes, that can look cool. but its kinda tricky baking a lot of cupcakes, although you wouldnt have to do too much more.
xx




Other decorators have found that people are more likely to take a second helping if cupcakes are included... especially if there are multiple flavors involved. I also agree that just a few cupcakes would look a little odd... if you want to go the cupcake route, go with more cupcakes and smaller tiers for the main cake, like brincess_b suggested icon_smile.gif

kellyanne1981 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 5

thanks sagebrush ~ im so glad ive found this website for guidance. i have f'booked my friend and suggested we meet b4 i make the cake to discuss my concerns. thanks again for taking the time to reply!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%