Help With Structure And Assembly Of This Treehouse Cake Pls!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 5:11am by Ursula40

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone. I am making a treehouse cake for this weekend and this is the first time that I have ever tried to suspend a cake upon a dowel. My husband built my structure last night. The base is a 12x12 square which will hold a 10 inch square cake. There is a 1 inch dowel screwed into the center of that board (that will be the tree trunk, duh). Then there is an 8 inch square board that will hold a 6 inch cake that will screw into the top of the dowel. I am attaching a pic of the structure so you can see what it looks like.
My main question is how to get the 6 inch cake (on a cardboard) to "attach" to my fondant covered 8 inch square board without it flying off in transit? There are too many details for it to be assembled at the party. Does there need to be something driven through the 6 inch cake? If so, how do I do that with it sitting on plywood?
Also, does this structure sound reasonable as far as the cake goes?
Finally, I am worried about threading the (chocolate) cake over the 1 inch dowel to get it on the base. I envision it tearing. Any suggestions for doing it so it doesn't get totally screwed up?
Thanks so much for any advice. This is the first cake of this kind that I have done!
LL

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 7

could you just decorate the cake on that 8" board and then screw the 8" board onto the dowel once you arrive???

As for feeding the 10" cake down over the dowel....I would literally cut a hole out of the 10" cake and put it over the dowel and then add decorations (grass, flowers, fondant for the tree trunk,etc.) around the dowel and to hide the difference between the dowel and the hole in the cake, if there is any space!

ptanyer Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7

I recently did a cake with a similar structure. It's the Tinkerbell cake in my photos.

It's the "Tree Top Tink" in the Wilton 2009 book. That has the complete instructions. It is built using the tall tier cake stand by Wilton. I used a "cake corer" from Wilton to cut the hole out of the bottom cake to slide over the "tree" support and for the top cake to slide over the "nut" on the top of the tree support. It's really easy using the proper equipment.

As for transporting the cake, everything from the bottom of the top layer down can be done ahead of time, the top tier done and place the top tier on when you get to the site.

Here's a photo of the cake I did:
LL

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much ladies!
KHalstead, my husband insists that I need to put the top board on first and then he will screw it into the dowel. Suggestions on how to put a screw in first so I can decorate the top cake on its board and transport it separately (I would feel infinitely more secure). Also, do you think I can thread the bottom cake over the dowel without screwing up the icing (it will be buttercream)? And should I cut a hole also in its cardboard, how do I make sure the whole in the cardboard and the whole in the cake line up?

ptanyer: Thanks! I even have that year book but had no idea the tink tree was in there. Awesome. I am getting ready to read the directions now.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 7

Argh, the instructions in the yearbook aren't all that helpful since they assume you are using the wilton tall tier cake stand which I am not.
Ok and this may be dumb but, if I put the top tier on when I get to the party, how do I ensure that when I screw the board on the front of the top cake ends up being aligned with the front of the bottom cake, kwim?

ptanyer Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 7

Make a hole slightly bigger than the dowel in the cake board you will be putting the cake on. Make the same size hole in the middle of the cake before you do any icing on the cake. I turned my cake upside down and placed the cake board with it's hole already made and marked the cake and cut out the hole in the cake. Then flip it back over and you are ready to crumb coat, etc.

After the bottom tier is completely decorated, then slide it over the dowel and put into place.

Next, do the same procedure for the top cake.

Now, you need something on top of the top of the dowel to give you something to hold the top tier in place. See if you DH can add another piece of dowel (maybe 2") and screw it into place. That way when you get to the delivery site you can slip the top tier into place and finish any last minute edge decorations.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:11am
post #7 of 7

Or just decorate the top part on it's own board, that you just place on the top at the venue, perhaps with a bit of royal icing to stick it to the screwed on top board, so it won't slip off that easily. The top board will have to be an inch or so smaller than the top cake, so you won't see the board that readily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%