Tasty Frosting Recipe For Cupcakes In Hot & Humid Weathe

Baking By MrsScissors Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm by decoratingfool

MrsScissors Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:52am
post #1 of 9

I'm a newbie to Cake Central and usually decorate my cakes with buttercream icing/frosting. But I've been asked to decorate cupcakes for a wedding in Darwin, Australia, (temp 33 C = 91 F and humidity around 90 percent) while I'm there for a holiday. It will be an outdoor event so no air conditioning (but there will be shade)!

Can anyone suggest a delicious frosting/icing recipe? (I tried Orchard fondant once, and thought it was tasteless).

Any suggestions, or links to previous topics on this matter (surely I couldn't be the first to raise it) would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 9

Indydebi's recipe is in the recipes on CC and it's the best! :] Someone said they had a customer leave a cake in the trunk of their car during dinner in the middle of summer with this icing and it still held up! icon_razz.gif Indy says that she's never had a problem with it ever! HTH!

MrsScissors Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:52am
post #3 of 9

Thanks JaeRodriguez - I've just found out I can get Crisco and Dream Whip by mail order (they're not found in local supermarkets in Australia), so I'll give this recipe a try!

JaeRodriguez Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 9

Good, I hope you like it!

MrsScissors Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #5 of 9

Well, the wedding was last Saturday, and I just wanted to give a big thank you for introducing me to indydebi's BC recipe. It tasted great and held up to the heat and humidity perfectly. A picture of the wedding cupcakes can be seen here http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1713087

tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScissors

Thanks JaeRodriguez - I've just found out I can get Crisco and Dream Whip by mail order (they're not found in local supermarkets in Australia), so I'll give this recipe a try!

oh talk to some of the other women from australia that are on here. They said there is a store that carries crisco and dream whip. I'll see if I can find the link to the post.. so you will have it for next time. your cupcakes are so cute.

MrsScissors Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:52am
post #7 of 9

Hi Tesso, don't worry, I found the supplier in Australia - www.usafoods.com.au
I must say, I was surprised how much Dream Whip was required.
1 box of Dream Whip (and about 2 lbs of Crisco) only made enough icing to cover 130 cupcakes. But then again, I was quite generous with my 'swirls'!

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:43am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScissors

Well, the wedding was last Saturday, and I just wanted to give a big thank you for introducing me to indydebi's BC recipe. It tasted great and held up to the heat and humidity perfectly. A picture of the wedding cupcakes can be seen here http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1713087

Beautiful cupcakes. thumbs_up.gif I didn't see your thread until now or I would definitely have suggested Indydebi's recipe. Isn't it great? icon_biggrin.gif

decoratingfool Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 9

So i made Indydebi's recipe for the first time ever and i LOVED it, sooo good.. I had a cake tasting this morning and made my frosting and hers and hers was a hit by a long shot, so than you for that recipe...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%