Whipped Icing Like What The Bakery Uses...

Baking By NiderVille Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 5:23am by ceshell

NiderVille Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for a Baby Shower. The mom to be does not like super sweet stuff. She would like a whipped frosting on the cake. Got any good recipes and can you decorate it with the same frosting or do I use butter cream for that. Also if any one has any filling ideas that would be great too.

3 replies
2txmedics Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #2 of 4

Im also looking for a good one....Ive done searches on line but I like it when a CCer shares a recipe, especially if its one that has awesome cakes!!!!

My Pa likes whipped icing also....I do know they dont crust, wonder how the deocrating would be on that kind of icing.

chefjulie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #3 of 4

The whipped icing is usually just Rich's Bettercreme. You can buy it whipped or unwhipped. There's a HUGE Bettercreme thread on here somewhere (I'd do an advanced google search to find it) that gives you pretty much any and all info you'll ever need on the stuff!

ceshell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:23am
post #4 of 4

If you can't find the whipped icing like Bettercreme, a good compromise icing is the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe hereon CC in the recipes section. I alter the recipe and use half butter, half hi-ratio shortening just to make it a little more flavorful.

It is NOT a whipped cream icing - it's kind of like a hybrid version of shortening/PS buttercream and of Italian Meringue Buttercream. You whip shortening and PS in one bowl, whip meringue powder and sugar in another, and then combine them both into a delicious, light, fluffy, not TOO sweet icing. I just served it on a cake yesterday and people were freaking out, they liked it so much. Several actually thought it was whipped cream (although I think they are crazy LOL) and the guest of honor emailed me today raving about it.

Give it a try! My only caveat is that I have not tried it with normal shortening, only with hi-ratio. I don't know if it tastes any different with regular shortening and if you are using 0 transfat Crisco I have no clue how it will perform.

Also I have never decorated with it. It's a bit soft but I'd bet you could add more PS to make it stiffer for decorating. Yesterday's cake was the second time I used it under fondant too; I just chilled it firm first. I used a full layer of it under my fondant. Nice compromise for when you want something light but want to fondant your cake too.

Of course another option is to just do a real Italian Meringue Buttercream. That's my personal preference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%