Question About Homemade Marshmallow

Baking By Charmed Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 4:41am by Charmed

Charmed Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

I made marshmallows using Alton brown's recipe. they are very yummy but I would like them to be a bit firmer. Anyone knows how to modify marshmallow recipe to make them firmer?
Here is the recipe:

6 replies
all4cake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 7

When did you make them? They usually firm up after resting overnight.

Charmed Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 7

even after resting for a day they are not as firm as I like them to be.

all4cake Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 7

I've not found a recipe yet that will make them as bouncy as those in a bag (not that that is my goal)

I would reduce the water by 1/4 cup and increase the temp on the syrup to 250 instead of in this recipe

see in that one picture...when they've 'spread' the mixture in the looks quite firm and it hadn't even set yet.

Charmed Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 7

thanks all4cakes I will try that recipe.

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7

This is the recipe I use for peppermint marshmallows (wonderful in a mug of hot chocolate or dipped in ganache!) and they're bouncy, fluffy and unbelievably ADDICTING! I've made these several times and they come out beautifully every time. I double the recipe and make them in a 9 x 13 pan, then I store them in ziptop bags or a rubbermaid type container and they last a good while. After eating these I've never eaten another store bought marshmallow.

You could probably use the same recipe and take out the peppermint candies and just add some vanilla.

To make cutting easier, I use a pizza cutter instead of a knife that just drags through the marshmallows.

Charmed Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #7 of 7

thanks for the recipe thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%