Got A Bit Too Excited...what Should I Do With This Cake!?

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 11

I don't get many chances to make real cakes, and with Easter coming in a few days I wanted to use this as my opportunity to bake and decorate a cake. I got a bit too excited and baked and crumb-coated a 2 layer, 6in round cake today icon_redface.gif It's in the fridge now...I told myself it would be fine until Easter, but after doing a bit of research I'm having second thoughts (and don't want to serve an old, dry cake!). I didn't use any perishable fillings, and I have another box of mix to make another one later this week if I have to. I just need help deciding if I should use it, or just make it another practice cake? Thanks in advance

10 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 11

You could always practice with it and then donate to a food bank for Easter.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 11

Unless it is in a tight sealing cake taker or tightly wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap it is going to taste like fridge. Blah!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 11

put it in a tupperware cake holder or some kind of air tight holder and put in freezer. lots of decorators do this. they bake, fill, crumb coat and put in freezer. not fridge. THAT will dry it out as a lot of decorators say on this site. hth

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 11

Wrap it in plastic wrap - a couple layers and freeze. Take it out a few hours before you want to decorate and it will be just fine. I even ice mine frozen then let thaw and fondant.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Unless it is in a tight sealing cake taker or tightly wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap it is going to taste like fridge. Blah!

Yuk! I don't know why I didn't even think about that icon_eek.gif I think I may just use it to practice. I don't have anything to store it in and my freezer is full...It was actually my first time baking a 2 layer cake (I usually always have to work with cake dummies). I learned a few things about baking anyway so the second time should go much easier icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:27am
post #7 of 11

OK, I made some room in my freezer, double wrapped the cake in plastic wrap and foil. Hopefully it'll be ok. Will the flavor be fine even though it was in the refrigerator overnight? I'll probably thaw it Thursday.

Thank you all for your help icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:55am
post #8 of 11

If you've got strong flavours going on in your fridge like garlic and onion...you may have an issue. Smell the cake when it comes out of the freezer and if it smells gross then toss it.

I'm thinking you should be fine though!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you, I don't have any strong foods in my fridge, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hope it turns out ok thumbs_up.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 11

Cover it with fondant and decorate it for practice, then take the fondant off, smash it up and make cake balls. One should never waste cake icon_biggrin.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 11

Just an update...the cake thawed wonderfully! I even took out a small piece just to make sure the flavor wasn't affected, and it tasted just fine icon_smile.gif The only problem I had was after I covered it with fondant. After a few hours the icing underneath kinda started to "move around" so the fondant wasn't as smooth as I would like. I'm thinking I covered it too soon (and should have waited for the icing to crust again), or I should use a different type of icing next time.

Thank you all for your help and advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%