Have You Ever Received Complaints About Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 2:06am by Elcee

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #1 of 15

Recently I had someone tell me my icing was "stale". icon_confused.gif They said in these exact words, "The cake was GREAT! Moist and perfect, but the icing on the outside was...how do I say this...hard, it was stale." Then they wanted to know how long in advance I made the cake! icon_mad.gif I made it about 12 hours before the party! LOL I told them it was a crusting buttercream and if I made it 2 hours before the party the icing would be the same consistency. Whatever...

Have you ever received a complaint about crusting buttercream like this???

14 replies
m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 15

I haven't had anyone complain about crusting buttercream, but I myself don't like it and have been searching for a good non-crusting buttercream that I can decorate with.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 15

Stale??? Nope, never heard that one before. Honestly, people have no clue!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 15

I think some people are used to canned icing-the texture remains soft and it does not crust.

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:25am
post #5 of 15

Do grocery store type cakes have crusting buttercream? Been so long since I've had one that I don't even know. Maybe they are use to grocery store whipped icing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 15

Yes grocery stores use crusting buttercream. I think some people just like to complain thinking they will get a refund or some sort of compensation if they have a complaint.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 15

I use half butter, half shortening in my crusting recipe so it never really crusts that much....just enough.

Stale icing? Whatever!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 15

I had one person tell me a couple of years ago that my icing was dry. I always get rave reviews on my icing ( I use 1/2 sweetex & 1/2 butter) so I think she was just used to a creamy, non- crusting icing.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 15

I'm a "second generation" cake decorator. I have no idea what buttercream recipe my mother used but when my brother and I were little kids we LOVED the flowers when they crusted. When I use a crusting buttercream, it doesn't crust like hers did. icon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #10 of 15

Elcee... I agree... I remember the bc when I was a little girl... it used to get a nice crust and when you ate it... it would be so soft inside... I loved it... I don't use her recipe... but I always remember that... as a matter of fact... it was a barbie doll (when that was THE CAKE to have... the barbie cake with the big skirt lol

Elcee Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Elcee... I agree... I remember the bc when I was a little girl... it used to get a nice crust and when you ate it... it would be so soft inside... I loved it... I don't use her recipe... but I always remember that... as a matter of fact... it was a barbie doll (when that was THE CAKE to have... the barbie cake with the big skirt lol

OMGosh, dalis4joe, my mother made Barbie cakes for my birthdays, too! I LOVED them. She used the old school Wilton methods (I guess not so old, I was taught them, too, just don't use them much icon_smile.gif ) so these dolls had exquisite, almost Lambeth style skirts (baked in a bowl, not a wonder mold) and she would put on frosting bodices, hats and necklaces.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #12 of 15

I do get that complaint, but not from my celebration cake customers. My brides, when they sample my different icings, they say, oh, this is the stuff that gets all crusty.

I don't love crusting buttercream myself, so I totally get what they meant. I hope you were able to clarify it with them that this is what the icing is SUPPOSED to do.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

I haven't had anyone complain about crusting buttercream, but I myself don't like it and have been searching for a good non-crusting buttercream that I can decorate with.

Try mine:

2 cups butter, room temp
1 cup shortening [with transfats!]
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
2-4 tablespoons HOT whipping cream

Blend butter and shortening thoroughly.

Add all sugar at one time and mix on LOWEST speed....the mixture will apprear very dry at first but be patient and it will come together into a smooth icing.....be sure to scrape the bowl often.

Thin with the hot cream until you reach desired consistency.

I make mine at the beginning of the week in huge batches and then remix a portion as need on low....you may need a couple additional spoons of hot cream if the icing has been made a day or so.

I refrigerate all my cakes but you don't have too. This icing doesn't not crust, so the paper towel method doesn't work.

I smooth mine using a 6 inch spackling knife and an oil spritzing bottle of hot water. I smooth as much as I can, then lightly mist and do a final pass or two. Once in the fridge to chill, any excess water evaporates.

You can see some of my cakes done in this icing, including my faux fondant ones by searching "jsarnett" on www.webshots.com.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm a "second generation" cake decorator. I have no idea what buttercream recipe my mother used but when my brother and I were little kids we LOVED the flowers when they crusted. When I use a crusting buttercream, it doesn't crust like hers did. icon_biggrin.gif

When I first started making icing about 30 years ago, we used this recipe:

1 1/2 cups shortening
1/2 cup cake flour
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup near boiling water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring [optional]
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring [optional]

Sift the sugar and flour together. Blend the shortening and flavorings. Add the sugar and about 1/3 cup of the 1/2 cup near boiling water and blend on low, scraping bowl. Add the rest of the water as needed to get a good spreading consistency.

This was VERY POPULAR around here. I still use it to make air-dried buttercream roses!

Elcee Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

When I first started making icing about 30 years ago, we used this recipe:

1 1/2 cups shortening
1/2 cup cake flour
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup near boiling water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring [optional]
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring [optional]

Sift the sugar and flour together. Blend the shortening and flavorings. Add the sugar and about 1/3 cup of the 1/2 cup near boiling water and blend on low, scraping bowl. Add the rest of the water as needed to get a good spreading consistency.

This was VERY POPULAR around here. I still use it to make air-dried buttercream roses!

Thanks, Jeff...that is just what my mother would do...air dried roses. I will try your recipe one of these days for nostalgia's sake. I usually use meringue based frostings now, but not always.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%