Do You Sell Sheetcakes For Less?

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm by leily

kakedreamer1212 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 12

Why do most people expect you to sell your sheet cakes for less? They have just as many servings as a round cake so why would you? I've been back and forth about this in my head. I dont do many sheetcakes as it is but for some reason people will tell me they cant afford a tiered cake so they just want a sheet cake for now. I'm wondering if I even want to make sheet cakes anymore for this reason. Do YOU sell your sheetcakes for less and why?

11 replies
prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 12

Why do they expect it? Because they don't know anything about cake. Also, sheet cakes are generally not torted and so contain no fillings. Tiered cakes do and so may cost a little more per serving as a result.

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 12

Because when people hear the word "sheetcake" they tend to think you are referring to the single layer cakes without filling that are sold in the grocery stores. You need to educate them on why your sheetcakes are not cheaper.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 12

My minimum is $3/serving no matter what it is....whether sheet cake or round cake or tiered cake...that's the cheapest I can sell any cake. So because of that I don't sell many sheet cakes!

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 12

I charge the same. If they want a sheet cake, I send them somewhere else. They aren't my target market.

nicoles0419 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #6 of 12

I charge less for a sheet cake, A sheet cake takes way less time than a 2 tier cake, and is easier fo me

cakewhiz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #7 of 12

I have been decorating wedding cakes for 34 years now. I absolutely refuse to do sheet cakes. I am in the wedding cake business not the sheet cake business. I cannot imagine standing around all day long icing sheet cakes. Where is the creativity in that? I would quit before it came to that.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:39am
post #8 of 12

I'm glad to see that most of you think as I do. I feel like sheet cakes should be the same price. I totally get the whole tiered issue...dowels, more cake board= extra time , but alot of people want a cheaper cake with ALL the bells and whistles, sometimes 3 and 4 characters on it so really it is taking almost as much time and effort as a tiered cake might. I'm trying to rationalize how I can sell a 2 layer, 8 inch round cake, all decked out for 50-60 dollars and not get this amount for a sheet cake that feeds the same amount of ppl. I generally tell ppl. who want a sheet cake for the lesser price that it will only have a flat design and no fondant.

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 12

I do sheet cakes but the price is the same per serving as a tiered cake. To me, sheet cakes are more work to get them to look nice. A tiered cake already has the wow factor and it doesn't take much to finish one off.

mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

I charge the same. If they want a sheet cake, I send them somewhere else. They aren't my target market.

I don't do sheetcakes either.

leah_s Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 12

I don't do sheet cakes either.

leily Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12

I do sheetcakes (and don't like to), but I charge the same per serving as the two layer cake with filling because I don't want to do them. If it's the same price then most people go with the two layer cake.

Also want to clarify that my sheet cakes are one 2" layer of cake with icing on top, no filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%