Originally Posted by marisworthit

Sounded good until the Crisco part.

couldnt agree more. Would love to see if anyone has made it with all butter

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

People really love this icing. It has the powdered-sugar bite of a traditional American buttercream, but is lighter and fluffier and less teeth-crunchingly sweet.

Couldn't agree more. thumbs_up.gif

It's my go to recipe, when I don't have hi-ratio on hand.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #34 of 59

I have made it with half-butter, but never tried it with all-butter. I too would be interested to know how it holds up with all butter. I would imagine that it would probably taste fantastic, the question is how well would it hold up for decorating? All-butter powdered-sugar buttercream is a pretty standard icing, so perhaps it would work out just fine. If anyone tries it, do let us know!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:57am
post #35 of 59

I would think you could use all butter but you may have to increase the quantity of powdered sugar a bit to compensate for the additional moisture content held in the butter or possibly reduce the amount of liquid added. I can't say for sure though as I have never tried it personally.

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #36 of 59

I halfed this recipe because I wasn't sure if it would taste good, but I should have made a full batch! It is very fluffy with a light sweet flavor, not overpowering at all. I can't wait to decorate with it and test it out

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #37 of 59

I'm with the others CakeMakar.....would you be willing to share that White Chocolate Buttercream recipe???

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #38 of 59

Sorry I didn't answer right away, the cable company was supposed to disconnect my cable, but disconnected the internet too. Ugh.

Sure, I'll share! I'll dig it out and post it later today.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:52am
post #39 of 59

I was curious, so I've just made a half batch with all butter. I'll let you know how it goes, frosting soon, after my cuppaicon_smile.gif

kiwigal81 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:37am
post #40 of 59

The verdict is in from my side icon_lol.gif

So: I made a half batch, it was *just* enough to cover 2x 8 inch rounds, torted and filled. I could have done with more, and def more for the piping I want to do. I used all butter, salted butter (unsalted costs almost as much as gold here). If I made it again, I'd not put in the salt, there was enough in the butter.

When I'd made it, it had the consistency of thickly whipped cream. Looked just like it too. It was tasty, to me, seemed about as sweet as regular bc but was much more fluffy. It had more of the mouthfeel of smbc than bc. However, to my taste, the meringue powder gave a slightly bitter undertone.

I worked that sucker with the spatula, but it didn't want to deflate sufficiently. I put it on when it looked like it had, and bubbles popped up everywhere. It would take me a lot of time to get rid of the air bubbles. I tried to deflate every blob I put on, but as I smoothed, the bubbles showed a lot.

I used the full lot of meringue powder. It says minimally crusting, but I left some out to test (for longer than the cuppaicon_smile.gif but it didn't want to crust. I don't know whether it is the weather or the recipe or something I've done.

All in all, it was tasty and a great texture, but not something I'd use again. I'm a beginning decorator and I like the crusting frostings that allow me to make it very smooth. If not, then I love the rich smoothness that is smbc, a real change for people here. This seems to be in the middle, sweet and fluffy and smooth, but without the real benefits I love of either.

It might be more suitable for someone who is more experienced and a dab hand at making it smooth, or maybe bung it in a mixer and put on very low to get some bubbles out. I may have been overzealous!

kiwigal81 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:38am
post #41 of 59

I mean filled with another filling, not filled with this batch. I made a whipped choc ganache and pound cake, yum!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:34am
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

I wish I knew what that was...sounds like what I am looking for too....I like Italian meringue buttercream...but it is sooo buttery..wish I could find something in between

Combining IMBC and reg. buttercream:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-28824.htmlgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

I'm with the others CakeMakar.....would you be willing to share that White Chocolate Buttercream recipe???

I've tried several white chocolate b/c's and to me they're just too sweet.
(Which is why I like the whipped cream b/c.)

Guess that explains why there are so many variations on the different types of recipes. We're all looking for "our" perfect recipes, which is why I'm always open to try something new.

HTH

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:25am
post #43 of 59

The SMBC and reg buttercream combined is all I use for my icing. All my clients LOVE it. I've had brides come in for tastings that are in awe of my buttercream and can't believe how good it is compared to others that they've tried (some at famous bakeries). It produces a slightly thicker consistency than just SMBC and is a joy to work with. It smoothes out nicely. To top it off it appeals to all tastes - those who like 10x based icings (esp. kids) and those who like less sweet (SMBC). It also doesn't give that greasy mouthfeel like SMBC alone does.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #44 of 59

I swear by Indydebbi's icing. I whip it for over 10 minutes and it comes out as smooth a butter! I LOVE IT!!!

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

I swear by Indydebbi's icing. I whip it for over 10 minutes and it comes out as smooth a butter! I LOVE IT!!!

On my list of recipes to try still! How is the flavor and body of it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #46 of 59

nhbaker. which reg. b/c do you make. so many different variations of that. i do love smbc and imbc . would you share what you use? tia

ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:31am
post #47 of 59

Thanks JanH! You're an angel! I always appreciate your info. By the by....since we are discussing frostings, has anyone ever tried decorating with Seven Minute Frosting? I used to use it many years ago and loved the fluffiness and not so sweet taste. I just wondered if it is decoratable? TIA everyone!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

I received a great recipe a few month ago for a white chocolate buttercream that's great to work with. It sets up rock hard, so you can just shave off bumps or fill in dips, but then at room temperature its like whipped cream.

I will love to try it.. could you please share your recipe? thank you

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #49 of 59

I can't wait to try out the Charlotte's WCBC.

At my bakery, I've been using a 70/30 mix of of my Snow White Buttercream (recipe posted here in the recipes section) and Whimsical Bakehouse BC. People love it, and I can still smooth it with a paper towel and make all the decorations I need to make with it.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

Thanks JanH! You're an angel! I always appreciate your info. By the by....since we are discussing frostings, has anyone ever tried decorating with Seven Minute Frosting? I used to use it many years ago and loved the fluffiness and not so sweet taste. I just wondered if it is decoratable? TIA everyone!

I did this cake with Seven Minute Frosting. It is possible, but it's too sticky to smooth, of course!
LL

ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #51 of 59

Thanks JGMB....your cake looks really smooth to me.....Very pretty!!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #52 of 59

White Chocolate Buttercream

2 cups water

4 cups granulated sugar

about 2T cornstarch (note: the original recipe called for 3/4 cup, but when I did that, it just turned to a big gummy lump - I remade and just made a thick gel with the water/cornstarch mix)

2 pounds White Chocolate Candy Melts, Merckens or Genuine White Chocolate (Real chocolate will need to be tempered. I use Merckens.)

3 pounds butter (1 pound salted, 2 lbs unsalted), cold & cubed

¼ cup White Crème de Cacao (optional & alcoholic!)

2T vanilla extract

*This recipe can be halved with good results. You can use any color/flavor candy melts or chocolate. You can color, but it is advised to use candy coloring because of the chocolate content.

Mix sugar with 1 ½ cups water. Mix ½ cup water with cornstarch. Bring sugar water to boil on high heat. When your mixture boils, add some to the cornstarch mixture to temper it, then add the cornstarch to the sugar. Bring to a quick boil, then turn as low as possible. Simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, put chocolate into a heat resistant bowl. (Break up chocolate if not in small pieces already.) Pour mixture over the chocolate and allow it to melt, stirring occasionally to prevent chunks. Cool to room temp, then add crème de cacao & vanilla. Strain into your mixer bowl and whisk in your butter, a few chunks at a time allowing them time to incorporate. If it appears to be runny (your emulsion broke) just keep mixing or put in fridge to chill and then rewhisk. You can also cool both melted chocolate, sugar/cornstarch mixture, and soften butter and incorporate in the same order without the time to cool or wait for the butter to work in.
If you refrigerate this icing it will set up ROCK HARD. You can then use a dough scraper to smooth any bumps or fill in any dips. At room temperature, it has a whipped cream consistency. I have used it under fondant w/o issue many times. In fact, this is the only way I've been able to get sharp edges and corners so far.

ladij153 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #53 of 59

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this CakeMakar!!

I'll be using this first chance I get!

mla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mla Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #54 of 59

Hi everyone. I made this recipe (Charlotte's Whipped Cream Icing) with all butter and I was really happy with the results. It was just as Ceshell described it...sweet, but not too sweet and not as buttery as SMBC (but with the nice light, creamy texture of SMBC). I used it to decorate cupcakes using a petal tip and they looked great (Begonia-type). I usually use a BC recipe from this site (Serious cake's). The kid's love it and it is excellent for decorating, but I've been looking for something a little less-sweet. I tried SMBC and it was too buttery and not sweet enough for my taste and my kids and husband didn't care for it either. This icing got the thumbs up from the whole family and the ladies at Bookclub. Thanks so much for everyone's input, this thread has been very helpful!

Marsha

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #55 of 59

Thanks for posting your results on all-butter WCBC, CC friends! This is really great to know, as I'd much prefer to leave out the shortening altogether. I was just afraid that if I did so, the icing would fall off the cake icon_redface.gif.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:15am
post #56 of 59

thanks for the recipe cakemaker. I can't wait to try it.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 4:53pm
post #57 of 59

Have any of you tried Toba Garret's French Vanilla Buttercream. It is fantastic. My question is how does it work under fondant. Once I fondant my cakes, I can't refrigerate, Never works for me, wondering if any of you have any feed back on it. It is very light, all butter, and not to sweet. Thanks for any advice!

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:34pm
post #58 of 59

Maybe it was a cooked flour frosting. It goes by other names, but this is what I use if someone doesn't like regular SMBC. It's made with butter but doesn't have a super buttery mouthfeel.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:07pm
post #59 of 59

Yup, sounds like Bettercreme to me. It's like Twinky filling but won't melt in hot weather. Totally chemically made, totally!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%