Tastings Schedule- How Do You Do It?

Business By dreamcakesmom Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:47am by ladyonzlake

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

So am slowly transitioning from party cakes to wedding cakes. I am a 1 woman show and want to accomodate perspective brides but also need to allot my time and energy where it makes financial sense. Up to about feb I had scheduled tastings as needed whenever me and the bride were mutually available but it's a lot of running around and what not for 1 tasting so I then switched to 1 tasting day a month (typically Saturday) when I sent out a message to all brides that have contacted me to notify them of the next upcoming 3 months worth of dates. The problem I seem to have a lot of brides that can;t do saturdays so I get emails like, I work saturdays, I have tuesday off, and so on. How do you handle tastings. Do you have a set date, set hours, by appt, etc.

5 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

I am a smaller shop so I do have a set day (sundays)for tastings and typically host 5-6 appointments on those days. right now, I'm booked 1/2 through may with appts.

I do, however, make the occasional appt during the week for people who work on sundays or their wedding is too close to schedule an appt.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 6

I do tastings Mon, Tues and Wednesday, during the day and after work. However, when brides call, I load them up on the same day, so I really devote typically only one afternoon, maybe two afternoons a week to tastings.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 6

thanks ladies- looks like I am on the right track. Maybe just hit a couple more high maintenace schedulers that want super specific days of the week and times of day to accomodate.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I do tastings Mon, Tues and Wednesday, during the day and after work. However, when brides call, I load them up on the same day, so I really devote typically only one afternoon, maybe two afternoons a week to tastings.

That's pretty much how I did it. I'd schedule the time slots every 2 hours, so when they'd call, I could tell them, "I have noon, 2 and 4 open .... which time works best for you."

Only for out of town brides would I detour from my regular schedule. You'd be amazed how a bride can change her schedule when the ONLY time she can get with you is Mon, Tue or Wed. icon_rolleyes.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

I too am a 1 woman operaton so I schedule 1 tasting day a month..Sunday (I rent the conference room at the commerical kithen that I use). I usually have 6-8 appts. lasting 1 hour each. I'm currently booked through August for weddings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%