Now I'm Scared!!

Decorating By kizrash Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm by kizrash

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 7

I attended my grandson's birthday party on Saturday after spending hours doing his cake, the Mario one in my photo's. After only fifteen minutes of being in the venue I was approached by one of the children's mothers and asked if I'd do her a christening cake for the end of May.
The thing is I only started doing cakes with my Christmas one after a long break away from baking, and never done one outside of family and friends. So being asked this, all be it a huge compliment, I'm a bit scared about doing one for someone I don't know.

6 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 7

DOn't be... if your first cake after being "on break" for a while was so good that someone wants YOU to do their cake... then you go for it... it's like riding a bike hehehe you never forget... get all syked (sp?) and go for it... that is a boost of confidence for you.... good job!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 7

I have only made a handful of cakes and I had a coworker ask me to make her son's birthday cake. She was running out of time with too many things on her plate. I was very upfront and said I could not deliver perfection but was willing to do the best I could. She was willing to accept that. Maybe if you just explain that you do this strictly as a hobby but would do it as long as she understands you aren't a "professional" then that will take some of the pressure off of you.

BTW, I looked at your cakes and you do a wonderful job. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

kizrash Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 7

Dalis4joe and Jenny0730 thank you both so much for your vote of confidence and advice, good idea's. Thank you thumbs_up.gif

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

I have just looked at your cakes, they are lovely and you will be fine. i love your mario one. how funny that im making a simaler mario cake this week (thats why i needed help with my BC smoothing, thankyou again) i hope mine turns out as nice as yours did!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 7

What a wonderful compliment, kizrash. As others have stated your cakes are wonderful and you should not be afraid of doing a cake for someone outside of the family. That is, if you want to do it and if you feel "right" doing it. I had only done 2 cakes when someone asked me to do that very same thing. I, also, tried to explain and the dear lady (no deceased) told me that she trusted what I could do and I needed to develop some self-confidence and if I couldn't do it with her, then I would never be able to do it. It was a terribly stressful experience but I could not (and cannot) appreciate her enough for having the confidence in me. You are very talented and you will do wonderfully!

kizrash Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

'bettinashoe' Thank you so much, I really do want to do this as I've enjoyed myself so much since I started baking again. I also want to concentrate more on the decoration side of baking as I never really did a lot of decorating before, but I have been having such fun lately. I know I have an awful long way to go to get better, but I have plenty of time and tons of patience. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%