Big Cake Wish...

Decorating By Dizzymaiden Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 12:32am by aquamom

Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 14

My boss heard I make cakes - and she wants me to come to her house and help her daughter bake a "big" cake like on TV. I will wait until the giggling stops icon_lol.gif

It is cute and I really can't wait but when I spoke with her daughter on the phone and asked her what her idea of a cake would be...she just said BIG. LOL she is 9 years old!! She wants fondant, sugar characters, etc...omg

Does anyone have suggestions? Do you think I should bring the decorations pre-made (yes - I think I just worked out my answer)?

HELP

13 replies
catlharper Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 14

LOL...yup, they have NO concept. I would have a "planning" meeting with the daughter first. Go over what sizes she wants and maybe even present using dummy tiers for most of the cake with only the top one or two tiers being real cake? Sketch out the design that you both want to make. You can still show her how to ice or use fondant with dummy tiers that way. I would stick to more simple than elaborate and show her how outstanding a simple cake with some wow-factor accessories can be just as impressive. But go over the amount of time needed for this with the daughter and the boss...then let your boss know what your hourly fee will be along with the cost of ingrediants/supplies is going to be. THEN see if he or she is up to paying to let his daughter play at the cake game. I mean, supplies = $50-$100 and then work on this for 4-6 hours at $15-20 an hour...hmmm....maybe your boss needs to start off with a one tier buttercream cake...ok, let the giggling resume

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 14

catlharper-I did not think about using a dummy cake! That would solve the "big" cake issue. I did not sleep last night thinking of how to do this. She is willing to pay me to teach her so that is no issue.

Great idea! Since she is young I was able to drive the creative process. I would like to do an Alice in Wonderland cake...might get it into the contest icon_wink.gif

metria Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 14

Perhaps bring some pre-fondant-covered dummies? Not sure how long you can hold a 9 yr old's attention.

Chasey Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Perhaps bring some pre-fondant-covered dummies? Not sure how long you can hold a 9 yr old's attention.

Very good point! She may not truly be interested in the finer details like how to perfectly cover the cake. It may be about making a figurine or two and using the piping bag. You could premake some and then show her how you did it and let her put her creations on the cake as well.

I would have most of the icing/fondant already tinted and let her tint one.

Maybe bring one tall icon_biggrin.gif already baked tier from home and show her how to crumbcoat and ice that. She could apply fondant after that and then bring out your fondant covered dummies and practice stacking them all.

My guess is she wants a tall cake, but I imagine her parents aren't wanting to eat all of that cake!! Maybe when discussing the plan with your boss, you could offer to sell her the cake dummies so their little cake boss can practice what she learned whenever her heart desires.

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Metria - she wants a big cake - I will use your idea of a dummy and then a real cake layer on top of that. What do you suggest for sizes?

metria Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 14

If you want to shoot for height, I see that http://www.globalsugarart.com has several 5" tall round dummies. Maybe bring in 10" and 12" dummies already covered with fondant. You could then have real 6" and 8" cakes where you cover the 8" with fondant and she covers the 6" herself? Not sure how much time/money you want to get in to with all this, but the great thing is that a 9 yr. old probably won't want some overall theme ... the colors and accent shapes can be very different per tier.

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 14

I checked out some of the cake dummies online. They are great - but as luck would have it one of my co-workers was throwing out a perfect, smooth styrofoam box! Only issue it is square. I can work around it.

She had a theme! Ocean and beach. Easy right...sand, fish, towel, flip flops and assorted shells and rocks. I am going to do the frosting and other stuff ahead of time. Let her take her time decorating. should not take more than 2 hours... icon_wink.gif right??

tesso Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 14

you are one brave woman !!! My younger nices lastes thirty minutes into the cake decorating !!! At least it is at their house !!! No mess for you !!!

As teenagers (17 & 18 & 15) they lasted 2 hours And two older ones went home airburshed blue and pink. oh yeah.. they lost interest in airbrushing the cupcakes.. but each other....now that was a whole other story... I warned them that it wouldnt come off.. and i still made them go to school the next day !!!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Ren715 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 14

Does she really want to bake it or decorate it? I'm betting on that she wants to decorate it (the fun part). I've seen some adorable cakes decorated by 10 and 11 year olds. Why not involve the mom too? Between the 3 of you, I'm sure you can so something really special!

lapazlady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 14

Have a planning party. Take the "dummy" along and a drawing pad. You should be able to get a clear idea of the size of real cake and the daughter (and the mother) should come away with a better idea of the effort involved. You need to be compensated for your time. too. This will be quite an adventure. (I've done cookie day with my students, many of my hours were involved for 3 hours of them decorating 400 or so cookies. I don't do this anymore.)

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 14

The mom is the one who came to me in a panic. She is a super boss and travels all around the world - she told me she had never used her oven! Her sister said that was not 100% true - she tried to heat a pizza and burned up the instruction manual!! LOLOL

I am going to make all the decorations as well as make sure the dummy is ready to decorate.

A few bags of colored icing, some ocean candy (made with Wilton's really cute molds) and some sand....whola the beach!

I am not as nervous thanks to all my great decorators at CC!! You make me see the humor in it all!

Thanks!

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

y they lost interest in airbrushing the cupcakes.. but each other....now that was a whole other story... I warned them that it wouldnt come off.. and i still made them go to school the next day !!!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

LOLOLOL I needed that laugh!

aquamom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #14 of 14

My 11 yr old daughter and I make a lot of beach and ocean themed cakes for friends. Usually she has one or two things she wants to do for the cake. One time she spent at least an hour on a zebra shark and then decided to make a panther grouper to go with it. Other times she may only spent 15-30 minutes working on the cake.

I LOVE the idea of a planning party!!! That just builds the anticipation of this wonderful event!! And every one knows what's going to happen. Hopefully there will be someone there to take pix and document the creating of this BIG CAKE.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%