Calla Lillies On Cake

Decorating By idgalpal Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm by cakesdivine

idgalpal Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 4

I have a bride that wants real calla lillies on her wedding cake. I just realized callas are poisonous so I'm thinking we really don't want them on the cake . I'll offer to make sugar calla lillies and hope that is agreeable. I don't want to even suggest silk flowers. Just curious if anyone has some ideas on how to use real callas and not posion everyone at the reception!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't try using the real thing you know, you'll turn your back and some helpful relative will be adding more to the cake, sticking the stems right into the frosting.

I've seen plenty of silk callas that looked just like the real thing. They're also really easy to make from gumpaste.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

In my opinion, I would refuse to put real ones on the cake... to much of a liability. I just had the same problem... she wanted real, I said no, I suggested sugar flowers, she said she would just go with silk... so I said if that's what you want....but sugar flowers would look much better. We had to meet in the middle icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

Agreed, tell the bride that real calla lilies are poisonous and tell her that they are out of the question on a cake, unless she wants to have all her guests making a trip to the emergency room during her reception. If you don't know how to make gumpaste calla lilies Decopac sells them. I order from them if I don't have time to make them myself. But like Texas-rose said...they are really easy to make. Or you could suggest she go the silk route.

Quote by @%username% on %date%