Why Does Stacking Cakes Intimidate Me???

Decorating By sweettooth88 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm by tadawade

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 12

For some reason every time i have a tiered cake i get nervous. I have never had a problem but i am scared to death to do them. Any one else have this problem? or have a way to help my phobia go away? I feel like i am crazy!!!

11 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 12

I haven't done many...I'm not too scared with fondant covered but BC covered makes me nervous! I shake like crazy making myself more nervous! It's just silly!

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 12

I haven't done many either, but after reading and reading threads about how to stack cakes here on CC and feel more confortable now, try it you will get a lot of advice!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, i used to feel the same way, until all of a sudden i did one for my cousin's babyshower (ladybug cake in my photos), then the orders started pouring in. I had at least 4 in 2 months. I still don't really like cutting dowel rods, but i haven't tried the bubble tea straws yet (as in Sugarshack's buttercream video). Those would be so much easier to snip with scissors. The more you do them, you will get over the anxiety. I think the biggest part is figuring out a recipe that produces the most cake batter for the least amount of work (I used WASC variations and realized a small two tier is no more cake batter than a large sheetcake), baking ahead in plenty of time, and making enough icing. Cutting the dowels is the worst part. I also started leveling the top of the layers and trimming any awkward edges off the sides, just to save myself any trouble later. No one will ever miss the cake that you cut away.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 12

You are not alone! I can do a 2-tier cake no problem, but add another tier and I get nervous! I have only done one 3-tier and it was for my sons b'day, but I was still nervous!!

pastryjen Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #6 of 12

My problem is actually stacking them...laying the layer on the top - I'm so worried it's not going to be centre and ruining the butter cream. We're our own worst critics!

pastryjen Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 12

My problem is actually stacking them...laying the layer on the top - I'm so worried it's not going to be centre and ruining the butter cream. We're our own worst critics!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

Sugarshack has an excellent DVD out on Successful Stacking. It's an excellent investment.

pastryjen Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #9 of 12

I've got 3 of Sharon's DVD's but not the stacking one.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #10 of 12

I highly recommend SPS. It has given me a lot of stacking confidence. Sharons techniques for stacking buttercream are really great to make sure you don't mess up the buttercream while stacking. The other benefit of SPS is you can see if you're centered before you push it all the way into the bottom cake. Mine are never perfectly centered but I feel I get close.

I'm still stack partially on site because I can not carry a super heavy cake. The 4 tier in my pics is my largest cake to date. Fed 150 people, I used SPS and it was super stable. I couldn't have asked for a better setup.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all the ideas and support now i know im not alone!!! Thanks ladies

tadawade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tadawade Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 12

I'm in the same boat I get nervous when doing stacked cakes. Actually I have someone requesting a three tier for her son's first birthday. Do I deliver the cake so that the top layer can be put on at delivery or does she just pick it up totally assembled and hope that it makes it to the party?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%