How Do I Make White Fondant Black In Color???

Decorating By GixxerChick Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 3:06pm by amyoungbl00d5

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 14

I have the Boxed, Ready to Use White Rolled Fondant. I need to make it BLACK for a motorcycle helmet cake I'm doing! I've tried adding wilton's Black icing color and I only end up with Gray. And that was after adding A LOT of black to it. I know there's another color combination that will get me to Black, but I don't know what it is! HELP!

THANKS!!
KC

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 14

I just use Super black americolor and knead it in...Works evertime!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 14

Best way to get black icing:

1) Throw out all Wilton Fondant
2) Go to nearest cake supply store or online and order a tub of Satin Ice in Black.

I am not joking! Black fondant is the hardest color to make. It takes too much color, kneading, and frustration to get a solid black color.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

2) Go to nearest cake supply store or online and order a tub of in Black.

I am not joking! Black fondant is the hardest color to make. It takes too much color, kneading, and frustration to get a solid black color.

So agree!! The only other way I will get black fondant is make a batch of Marshmallow Fondant, and before adding the powdered sugar, add the black color to the melted marshmallows. SOOO much less kneeding to get that black color.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 14

^^^^ I AGREE!! lol... I will never try to make black or red again... I always have a tub (2 lbs) of each of those 2 colors.... and wilton fondant...sorry to say but YUCK! you need satin ice.... at least for the future anyways.... good luck tho....

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 14

I make mmf and use equal amounts of red, blue and green to make black. It worked perfectly for my beehive cake. hth icon_smile.gif

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

2) Go to nearest cake supply store or online and order a tub of in Black.

LMAO!!! I was gonna say "you don't" but this pretty much says it all. It's not worth the trouble to do it yourself. To me, when it comes to red or black, just buy it pre-made. I've learned the hard & frustrating way. Good luck.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 14

If you're in a pinch and cannot buy the fondant pre-colored, in the past these are things I've had to do. Paint black with a paint brush (works best if you only need a small amount) or use an airbrush or the wilton sprays.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 14

Airbrush it black if you can't use/buy/get the Satin Ice.

GixxerChick Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think in the future, I will order some Satin Ice online. Unfortunately, there are only 2 stores in my area that carry Cake Deco supplies and neither of them have a very big selection. In the meantime, for THIS cake, I'm going to attempt the Marshmallow fondant method. Thank Goodness I have time for a practice run! I've never made MMF before. It's probably better anyway since Wilton's ready made Fondant doesn't exactly taste good.

GixxerChick Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 14

I suppose I COULD get a can of the "Spray" too. I hadn't thought of that. I don't have an air brush system. icon_sad.gif It's on my wish list though!

I just want to add...This is my first time posting a question on any cake forum. I was amazed at how fast I received all these replies! Thank you all so much!! It's good to know I can get some fast and friendly help if I'm in a pinch! icon_smile.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 14

Be careful with the spray, it will cover a large area. You'll want to spray the whole base first and then add the details if any are other colors after that. You wont be able to control not getting spray on something. And put down paper towels or butcher paper because the spray, while washable, will get all over your counters, backsplash, up your nose, etc lol.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 14

Also with the wilton spray in the can, you want to definitely start with as dark grey fondant as you can. To bad I just ran out last week of black fondant or I could sell you some (i'm in Muscatine), but I haven't ordered any new buckets yet.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 14

You can make it..it's just messy and time consuming..if you are making your own fondant than add it in as your making it. But that main most im portant factor is use AMERICOLOR. Do NOT USE WILTON COLOR..ONLY AMERICOLOR>>>BLACK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%