Edible Gold Paint

Decorating By beejay56 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 12:11am by BlakesCakes

beejay56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beejay56 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 8

will someone please tell me how to make edible gold paint for cakes? Luster dust by itself does not do much. It has been a fruitless search so far. Thank you for asny advise on the subject

7 replies
LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

I just came across something on Global Sugar Art the other day. They have gold, silver, and pearl "paint" already made. $3.99 I think. I haven't ordered any yet so I don't know how good it is, but you could check that out.

nfanel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nfanel Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 8

does it need to be paint? i just used the americolor gold gel coloring to make gold buttercream.

beejay56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beejay56 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the direct to Global Sugar Art!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 8

I use gold dust mixed with a little lemon juice. comes out just like gold paint

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 8

I have had some issues with the luster dust also. I found that using it dry is messy and not very effective. I like to mix it with lemon extract and paint it on that way. The alcohol based liquid evaporates quickly so that the frosting/fondant doesn't get gooey, and it is a good bit stronger and more effective and certainly less of a mess than using it dry. I did just purchase some gold, silver and pearl food colors made for airbrushes, I have not had to opportunity to try them out yet though. If you have an airbrush, it could be something worth looking into, especially for large areas. Hope this helps!

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 8

I've read about gold highlighter dust being superior to luster/petal dust for good coverage, but I haven't tried it myself. I use the luster dust mixed with a little vodka an sponge it on.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara789

I've read about gold highlighter dust being superior to luster/petal dust for good coverage, but I haven't tried it myself. I use the luster dust mixed with a little vodka an sponge it on.

Gold and silver highlighter dust are FOR DECORATION ONLY --they are NOT for eating--at all.

I've tried the pre-mixed metallic edible paints and I don't like them at all. I find them sticky and fussy to work with.

I've had very good luck with using Crystal Colors gold luster dust mixed with lemon extract, or even very well thinned confectioner's glaze.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%