Serving Charts/wedding Cakes- Help

Decorating By dreamcakesmom Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 1:55am by prterrell

dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all,
I typically ahve dealt with party cakes and used the earlenes chart for servings but am now moving to weddings. I've see nseveral posts recently with wedding cakes that have listed the size of the cake and the servings which are far off from what I have seen listed on the wilton wedding chart. What do you all use to quote per serving fees for weddings. Example- wilton wedding chart says a 10" and 14" square would serve 148. If you were doing a cake where the 10" and 14" tiers were being used for the guests how many woulod you tell the bride you can serve?

7 replies
leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

Always use the Wilton wedding charts.
1. It's what caterers will use to cut by, no matter what you say.
2. You make more $.

A 10" square serves 50. A 14" square serves 98. And that should be exactly what the Wilton wedding chart says. A standard serving is 8 cubic inches of cake - 1 X 2 X 4.

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 8

I always use Wilton charts as well! thumbs_up.gif

SugarFiend Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 8

This might sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if Wilton has ever revised their wedding servings? I just figured out by accident that in one Reference and Idea Book (originally published 1999, revised in 200icon_cool.gif there is a different party chart than in the 2010 Yearbook.

The Reference and Idea Book only contains a party serving chart, though. But the numbers are DEFINITELY different from both the party and wedding servings listed in the 2010 Yearbook.

BTW, the numbers leah_s listed are accurate for my 2010 Yearbook, but are there older Wilton charts out there that are different? After the party chart discrepancy I found, I'm a little concerned.

leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 8

you can also do the math. A *standard* serving is 8 cubic inches.

dalis4joe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by leah_s

you can also do the math. A *standard* serving is 8 cubic inches.

^^^ Ditto.... I always go by that chart... and if it isn't broken... why fix it? lol

dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks to all. THat's what I was going by but other posts made me nervous as they were saying these same size cakes were serving less than 125! Glad to know I am on the same page as most others.

prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

Mathematically, some of the Wilton numbers are off. I made my own chart using math. It will be included in my cook book. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%