Holes In My Cakes

Baking By kiwigal81 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 5:39am by indydebi

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:06am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
I've just started using a mixer and instant puddings in my cakes and I'm having trouble with air pockets in the cooked cake, leaving holes 0.5 to 1 cm wide. What is the science behind cake holes, how do I avoid it? It happens with every cake I do, the better white scratch cake from here, vanilla cake from the mermaid bakery from here too, and my choc cake. I've always made things by hand, and never had the problem. How much are you meant to beat regular cakes (ie: not pound cakes, which I know need much more) in the mixer? I'm obviously doing something wrong with it.

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:15am
post #2 of 6

After I fill my pans with batter I drop them on the counter a few times to work all the air pockets to the surface. Works like a charm.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:48am
post #3 of 6

Yep, dropping them on the counter works (although the people who live above me get quite upset with all the clatter I make! icon_redface.gif ) Oh well, I have to deal with their cursing when they lose a football game, so they can listen to me slam a few cakes on the counter!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:09am
post #4 of 6

Here's another holes in cake help thread:
(Mixing and measuring of ingredients is critical.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674429-.html

HTH

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys! I do one drop, clearly, I need to get in there and give it a few more! I'll also have a good look at that link. Knew it'd be in here somewhereicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:39am
post #6 of 6

I definitely bang the dickens out of the pan. Made my first cake at home, after closing the shop, and after The Big Bang Session, hubby said, "you know ... I haven't missed that noise at ALL!" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%