Taking Cakes To Next Level: Better Fillings, Flavors, &

Decorating By AmyLucy Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 11:58am by AmyLucy

AmyLucy Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #1 of 4

Hello, Fellow Cakers... icon_biggrin.gif

I would love your advice...

I have been concentrating on what my cakes LOOK like and now want to turn more to what they TASTE like.

I currently use WASC and chocolate WASC with chocolate ganache and pre-packaged sleeved pastry creams and fillings. By biggest concern is finding fillings that are shelf-stable and that neither I or the customer has to worry about refrigerating.

I use 2 inch cake pans and use one layer of filling in between, but all of the cake shows use so much more filling.

Should I go to a 3-inch cake pan and slice in half once I level it to get an extra layer of filling in?

What about my cake choices? Is WASC the best choice in terms of a moist cake for weddings and other events?

And if there are any awesome fillings out there I should know about (please let me know if they require refrigeration) , I am listening!!!!

Thanks so much in advance for reading and for any advice. icon_wink.gif

3 replies
JanH Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 4

The WASC cake and its flavor variations are great cakes. The prepackaged pastry fillings are also convenient and tasty.

So I'm not exactly sure what's out there that tastes better and fulfills your taste and shelf stable requirements.

As for the 2 vs 3 inch pans, some members swear by them and some members dislike them. I tried them and much prefer baking two 2" layers than one 3" - fewer baking problems and faster baking times.

FYI, you can torte the 2" cake layers so that you can use 3 layers of filling or two layers of filling and one layer of b/c.

HTH

prterrell Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:33am
post #3 of 4

Check out the Gourmet Flavors thread. It has a bazillion recipes and ideas.

AmyLucy Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #4 of 4

OK...thanks gals. It wasn't so much that my cakes tasted badly...

I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing! We love our WASC cake recipies, but I wanted to make sure that that was really one of the most widely used and accepted recipies out there. icon_wink.gif

And who doesn't like more filling? I will definitely be torting my cakes to add more, but just wasn't sure the best way to go about it.

Thanks again and have a great one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%