Tiered Cake Question

Decorating By CaseyNic Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 6:14am by prterrell

CaseyNic Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 5

Ok, this is probably a silly question but here it goes: When doing a tiered cake is there any way to keep the cake board of the cake on top from sticking to (and pulling off) the icing from the cake below it? Not sure if this is just something that happens or if there is some magic CC trick to fix it icon_smile.gif TIA!

4 replies
indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 5

Use a good crusting BC, let it crust before you assemble the cake.

I've never had that problem with my icing (and I stayed and cut most of my wedding cakes, so I saw it first hand).

CaseyNic Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

Hey Debi!! Thanks for your reply!! I feel like I'm talking to a CC celebrity icon_smile.gif I actually have only used your BC since I exited my Wilton courses BUT its entirely possible that I didn't let the bottom tier crust well before stacking on top of it. I wonder if my top tier might be too heavy or my supports to short... I've only stacked two cakes and they both pulled the top right off my bottom tier. I have another to do this week so I'll definitely make sure I let a good crust set up before I stack. Thanks!

indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

I usually had my cakes iced the day before and then stacked and put final touches on the decors the morning of the wedding, so it sat overnight and crusted well. Overnight isn't necessary ... you can touch it and tell when it's got a nice "shell" on the outside. You could also cut your dowels just ever so almost can't tell it higher than the icing.

prterrell Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #5 of 5

Since I don't use a crusting buttercream, I have to put something between the cake board and the tier it rests on. My solution? I use crumbs, made from trimming/levelling the cake. Just a light dusting of those and the board doesn't stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%