Air Brushing

Decorating By walker1229 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm by lapazlady

walker1229 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 4

I dont know if this should go somewhere else but I am wanting to get into air brushing and had a few questions
Can you use any kind of small air compressor?
Where can you buy just the air brush tool and hose?
Can you get the edible paints at a craft store or would I need to order it online?
Can I use like freezer paper to make my own stincle or would the pressure of the air just move the stincle too much?
Thanks for any help given!

3 replies
lapazlady Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 4

In general, the answer to most of the questions is yes, BUT, the air brush for cake decorating is pressure controlled. You don't want to blast the stencil off the cake. As for using paper for the stencil, you'll find the spray gets under it and will spoil your design. You can cut your own out of thin plastic. These are reusable and cling better to the cake. The replacement airbrush and hose are available without buying the compressor. Check out e-bay to see if you can find a complete unit at a lower price (I have no idea if one is available there). Go in and look at the airbrush site and see what pressure is used, then you'll have a better idea what you'd have to buy. Good luck in your search.

walker1229 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

thanks so much, one last question, what kind of plastic would you use for the stencil? Could you use wax paper?

lapazlady Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 4

I've used page covers, but you can go to a stationary store and get a thinner sheet of plastic. Wax paper will get wet. You might give brown paper, oiled, a try. Making your own stencil is time consuming but you can get good results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%