Is Foamcore The Same As Foamboard....

Decorating By pearlydi Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 1:49am by Doug

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone! I read that using foamcore instead of cardboard to support my cake on a stacked design is better. I went to Michaels today and I was confuse?? icon_rolleyes.gif Can you tell me please if foamboard is the same as foamcore?????. Thank you!!!!

13 replies
EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #2 of 14

Not an expert on this either. I just posted a question a few days ago....

This is what I know:
At my Michaels, they have this foam core board "stuff" in the framing department area. They said they'd cut it for me. Normally there is a charge, but the lady said most times, they don't charge. I guess there are two thicknesses available: 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch. I wasn't sure which to use or if I needed to layer it. So, I posted the question & the response I got explained I should use 1/2 inch thick. My Michaels doesn't have that, but I could just use the 3/8's. Close enough, I guess.

It's $7.99 a sheet. I can't quite remember what the exact size was, but I could get a board for (2) 12x18 sheet cakes. So, I'd guess you'd only need one sheet.

Hope that helps a little... icon_smile.gif

pearlydi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 14

Thank you EvMarie!!!!!! That really helped!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 14

I get mine in walmart by the poster board and its maybe 1/2 inch or so I think for 2.00 roughly

EvMarie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 14

Sure thing! When you're not in the "thick of the industry", you kinda gotta piece together the information as you go!

I was lucky enough to talk to a Michaels employee who did cakes! So, she knew about the board. It's definitely NOT in the cake department! They don't tell you these things! It's funny when you catch yourself looking for stuff that SHOULD BE in the cake department and it's just not. You start to think your nut-so!

icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #6 of 14

Hey Madge!

I'll sure take a look at Walmart then. Holy-shamoly.... that's a way better price. I hope the size will work for what I need.

Thanks for the info - I didn't get a ton of answers on my post. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 14

If its a big cake with lots of tiers it gets heavy so then you will either need to put two together or just go for a thicker board....then you can cover it in so many ways....icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #8 of 14

Walmart is the most expensive place to buy foambord here...it's $6 for two of them in a shrinkwrapped package, and those are the 1/4" ones. It must vary a lot by area. I buy foamboard at the craft store, either Hobby Lobby for $2 or Michaels for $3, but both have sales pretty often and you can stock up. The thicker foamboard is a lot more expensive and it's harder to cut, so I usually use two thicknesses of the thinner foamboard for the cake base, and then one thickness for the cake boards. Press and seal wrap is the best way to cover the cake boards.

You don't need to have it cut somewhere. Buy a box cutter, the pocket knife style is easier to use and be sure to change your blade often. This is my favorite kind of box cutter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150417350907&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXI7&GUID=635ec7a61260a0b583f27c42fff545a1&itemid=150417350907&ff4=263602_263622 but you can get it at Home Depot cheaper. I have a purple one that I've been using for five years.

pearlydi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks you for all the information!!!!!, I will be checking at craft stores!!!! As always you guys are great!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 14

I buy my foam core boards from Michaels. I always buy them with a coupon. The price is $6.00 for the 1/2" and I get 40% - 50% off of that. So it's actually much cheaper than buying cake boards. I use a sharp exacto knife to cut mine.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 14

Hobby Lobby has foamcore half off several times a month. They are back by the art supplies usually no limit. I use 1/4" for sheet or 2 layer cakes About 1$. I also buy 1/2" for heavier cakes for about $2. These are 30"X40" and are great when you want to make a shaped board. Just cover with your choice.

madgeowens Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:28am
post #12 of 14

wish we had a hobby lobby icon_sad.gif

pearlydi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #13 of 14

Can I use 1/2" foam core cake stand to support a three tiers cake??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #14 of 14

if you have a Dollar Tree -- they have it for $1/sheet.

Take 3 or even 4 and use spray adhesive to glue them together for a very strong board (esp. if you do 4)

----

another option -- MDF -- get this at Lowes or Home Depot. -- a wood product than can be stained and then finished with food grade polyurethane for safe direct food contact or covered in more traditional manner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%