Buying Premade Flowers...whats Your Opinion?

Decorating By krisann Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 1:47am by lisamenz

krisann Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #1 of 7

My daughter and I were at a local cake suppy store when I noticed RI flowers, premade and boxed for sale. Does anyone buy premade flowers and pass them off as their own?

6 replies
mommicakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 7

If I'm in a rush and don't have time to make them myself, I will tell my client, and give them these as an option.

Nothing wrong with using premade flowers. My skill level on some gum paste flowers leaves a LOT to be desired, so I will purchase from outside sources.

jammjenks Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 7

I will use them if I want to and can find them. I have no problem putting them on a cake and not notifying the client. I don't tell them whether my cake boards come in as pre-covered drums or if I cover them myself. thumbs_up.gif

maddyscreations Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

I purchase my flowers from they are beautiful and save me a whole lot of time. I give the bride the catalog and let them choose. I of course don't make anything off of them but why should I. It just makes my life alot easier since I also have a full time job.

dalis4joe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

I personally won't use bought flowers... because for me that the fun part... making the flowers myself... I don't know how to explain it but when I see my flowers, when people complement how good they look... when I put them on a cake and take those three steps back to "eye" your masterpiece.... I just get this feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction and... well... I don't know... but that's just me...
I feel that if you feel like it's okay to do so.... then you should do so... I see it as a preference thing... sorta like making your bc or buying your bc... (btw. I make my bc... hehehe)

krisann Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 7

I was just wondering if others do.. they had beautiful red roses. My daughter thought it would be a great idea for roses. We really struggle with RI and BC. We started working on gumpaste roses tonite.

lisamenz Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 7

I love the pre-made flowers, but also admire those who make them by hand themselves. For me its about the time and money for the business. I like to put my time into the cake art, and perfect that. There are really some beautiful pre-made flowers out there and I don't get paid enough here in this location to make it pay for itselve. if I make them. So I just charge the bride the cost of the flowers and postal charges and it works out great. Also I try to order in white and color them by dusting them or airbrushing them or also a another great method, is taking the gumpaste flowers and dunking them in food colored volka mix, and then shaking them off and air drying them, it turns out so pretty. You can't get the deep reds, or purples or some colors like this. so I will buy those. Good luck, and hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%