Cake Designs

Business By LaBoulangerie Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 4:02am by Justbeck101

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 14

Bonjour! I recently started my cake decorating business, so I am still trying to get the hang of everything. Last week, I was approached by a mother of a bride to do a wedding cake. She told me what they were looking for and I told them I would come up with a design. After a few sketches, I came up with the design that is shown in the attached picture. They live on the other side of the state, so I have to present electronically. This really makes me nervous as I usually am with the person as I sketch and they put in their input. Has anyone else had to do this before? I am trying to think of everything that should be in the picture, I will of course have a text description stating that the cake is fondant, flowers are gum paste, and ribbon is real. Is there anything else that should be added? Also, ideas on price? Never had to quote a wedding cake... TIA!
LL

13 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 14

I think you did a wonderful job in your details and cake tier sizes and colors and decoration ideas. Very professional thumbs_up.gif I have had people who I never meet book me by internet, of course with plenty of time for all deposits and checks to clear icon_lol.gif I have done skecthes just like you and everything has come out very well, never a problem. The only thing, I ever worried about was the tastings for the client, but they always write me a very nice letter for my website on how delicious it is, so everything must be going right? Some of the people I have never meet until the day of the event, which surprise even me. Even I don't think I could or would ever do it that way. I always try to give recommendations from other venus for them to talk to to make sure they are going to be happy. Anyway enough chatting. It looks, very great and if I were you , be very happy with all the details you have provided. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 14

The cake is beautiful. I really can't answer your questions because I am only a hobby baker for now. I was just curious, What design software did you design that cake on? Thanks

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't be too nervous! I used to work in cartography and had to make maps for clients all over the country, so I'd have to send them a digital copy and then we'd talk on the phone (sometimes for an hour or more) going over specific changes. It made it easier than emailing back and forth. Then I'd send them an updated map. It always worked out! Good luck!

LaBoulangerie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:23am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbycompany

The cake is beautiful. I really can't answer your questions because I am only a hobby baker for now. I was just curious, What design software did you design that cake on? Thanks

I use an image editing software called GIMP. I have a Mac laptop, so I have yet to find a cake design software that will work for me. GIMP is free and I can just as easily make my designs icon_biggrin.gif

Thank y'all(I am Tennessean, forgive me :p) for your input! I am sending it to my client as soon as I calculate a price. Any thoughts?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #6 of 14

Very cool cake design. icon_smile.gif

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 14

The cake looks great. As for pricing....

You could read all of the thousands of posts on the pricing topic. You could use one of the pricing matrix at the top of the business forum. Or, you could base your wedding cake prices on the price you charge for a non-wedding cake. I have one price per slice of fondant covered cake ($3.00 in North Carolina) regardless of the occasion. If the design is very involved whether in time or ingredients I will up-charge for the design. I have never charged more than $4.00 per slice, but then I haven't done anything really over the top, yet. You will also need to decide about the delivery fee. It is really up to you to decide how much you want to charge. You may want to call around and see what other people in your area are charging so you are inline with them.

Don't forget about a cake stand.... at least suggest that the bride look into renting one, it really makes the cake pop!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 14

add up your charge per slice then add up what you charge for each flower, add your delivery and set up and that is your final price

LaBoulangerie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you all very much for your input! I am sending the quote and drawing over to my client today. I am quoting $225, which is under $2/serving. Delivery will be extra if they get married where they are thinking, the rural Appalachian Mountains.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 14

It's just me, but I would charge more than that. Under two dollars per serving for a cake covered in fondant AND gum paste flowers? Your flowers alone would be, in my estimate, at least $100.

Thanks for the tip about GIMP. I want to try that out.

Paul

LaBoulangerie Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 14

It's not just you, I totally should be charging a lot more. I will still be making a nice little chunk, which will be used towards my plane ticket for when I move to France in August. The next time I make a cake like this, it will easily be over $300. I know they will give me good word-of-mouth and I needed a wedding cake and gum paste flowers for my portfolio, so that is why I charged so little.

P.S. They absolutely loved it! I have been booked for the job icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 14

I understand about wanting to build a portofolio, but you could have done up some dummy cakes. Once you price yourself so cheap, and that price is unheard of where I live, it will be hard to get out of that range.
Good luck in France, love the country and people, can't wait to go back for a visit.

LaBoulangerie Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 14

You are very right, I should have just done dummy cakes to build up my portfolio. As far as this cheap price, they are being told that they are receiving a 30% off discount on the cake because they are my first wedding. That way, whenever they refer friends they aren't like "OMG! His cakes are only $225 for all this work and handmade flowers!" If I were to do this cake again, I would easy charge $300 or more, easily. I definitely don't want to be stuck in the same price range as Wal*Mart.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:02am
post #14 of 14

I most if not all of my sketches by email. You can see my sketches at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakingsweetmemories/

I just let them know that I will be emailing 1-3 sketches and that they should tell me if they like it and if not then they should tell me what they do and don't like about it. I have never had anyone tell me they don't like their sketch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%