Giant Holes In Cake!

Baking By connie0603 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 12:00am by JanH

connie0603 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 4

I recently made a 12 inch yellow dh cake in a new wilton gold pan. I did the usual dropping the pan to get the air bubbles out. It seemed to bake fine nice and level. However, after I took it out of the pan and cut into it to level it, there was an enormous amount of big holes in it. I have never had this problem before, but I have never made a 12 inch cake either. Could it have been the pans? Has anyone else had problems with the new wilton gold pans? Should I have changed the time and temp due to the size of the pan? Any comments will help. thanks

3 replies
kakabekabunny Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry, can't help with your problem, as I had the exact same thing happen to my last cake (it was a 3 tier & it happened with all 3 tiers) Hope we can both find an answer.

patticakesnc Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 4

It has to be trapped air bubbles. I do the droppy thing too but sometimes I have to do it A LOT.

JanH Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 4

Handy cake problems troubleshooting charts:

Improper mixing is probably one of the main reasons for cake failures...

So, when it comes to mixing, MORE (as in more speed or longer mixing time) is not BETTER. Overmixing will develop the gluten and result in a tough cake. Overmixing will also cause a cake to sink.

If using a stand mixer, beat for the recommended amount of time using the LOWEST speed (but don't let the motor strain).

If using a hand mixer, beat for the recommended amount of using using the MEDIUM speed (but don't let the motor strain).

(I would say that improper measuring is also a big deal.) How are you mixing/baking the recipe.

One of the basic techniques in scratch baking is measuring flour accurately.
When measuring flour, do you use the "scoop and drag" method and then shake to level.... You should be aerating the flour prior to gently spooning it into the measuring cup and using a straight edge to level.

Additionally, sifting your cake mix will elimimate those pesky "lumps" that just can't be beaten into submission by faster/longer mixing (which also over develops the gluten).

For learning the basic of cake making, I'd recommend:

Quote by @%username% on %date%