Michaels To Stop Selling Wilton Cake Pans !!!!!

Decorating By Carlachef Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm by Carlachef

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #31 of 51

I am a hobbist and I like my Wilton "Decorator Preferred" pans definitely don't like the 9 inch nesting ones, but I do make them work but I have to trim them. Magic line, I have seen some good deals lately online but I can't seem to justify the cost for the amt of baking that I do AND they come out fine with Wilton. Nice light crust, cooked through. I mean what else can a magic line pan do? I am not rough on my items and the Decorator preferred is thicker than their other type so I dunno.

So how ARE ML pans better, other than the square ones that have the great sides? What is it that is so much different than the Decorator Preferred (straight sides and pretty sturdy)? My pans never stick with pan grease so that can't be it. I am wondering if maybe some of you haven't seen the Decorator Preferred type. They have 3 different types and I only like that one.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I am a hobbist and I like my Wilton "Decorator Preferred" pans definitely don't like the 9 inch nesting ones, but I do make them work but I have to trim them. Magic line, I have seen some good deals lately online but I can't seem to justify the cost for the amt of baking that I do AND they come out fine with Wilton. Nice light crust, cooked through. I mean what else can a magic line pan do? I am not rough on my items and the Decorator preferred is thicker than their other type so I dunno.

So how ARE ML pans better, other than the square ones that have the great sides? What is it that is so much different than the Decorator Preferred (straight sides and pretty sturdy)? My pans never stick with pan grease so that can't be it. I am wondering if maybe some of you haven't seen the Decorator Preferred type. They have 3 different types and I only like that one.

I have ML square and Decorator Preferred Wilton round pans. The Wilton pans work well enough for me not to be able to justify replacing them but when they warp and dent (they are much thinner than ML), I will replace them w/ML. The ML pans are super sturdy and habe nice even sides.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #33 of 51

I hope they don't discontinue making the character pans..I do really like those and I have customer's who do also...I use some of their product and others I prefer different but it is all a matter of choice.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #34 of 51

"Celebrate It" is Michaels Brand. From my understand it will be similar products, they are just by passing buying it through Wilton. Skipping the middle man, as my manager tole me. He did say the cake pans were suppose to be better quaility, but we will see.

There will still be Wilton products in the store. I'm betting it will probably just be the basic shaped pans that are coming from Michaels, and that Wilton will still sell the character ones. That's just my guess though.

As far as Wilton products. I've never hidden the fact that I am a WMI. I won't say that every Wilton product is wonderful but then again I can't always say that about every other brand out there either. We have all gotten our hands on some product now and then that doesn't work as promised.

I think Wilton has and will continue to fill that niche of getting baking products and information in people's hands at a decent price. Hobbiest and mother's can start there, and if they want to invest in other products no one is stopping them. To me Wilton introduces you to the basics, where people go from there is up to them.

As someone that lives in an area that doesn't have a cake supply store, I have to say if not for Wilton's products being available in the stores, I may not have gotten into cake decorating has much as I have been. Eight years ago, I didn't really have the option of shopping on the internet and paying alot of shipping and handling, but I could walk into a store, coupon in hand, and start building my cake collection.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #35 of 51

There is not a single cake decorating store in my area. The closest one is 200 miles away. So, I'm stuck with Michaels and Wilton products. Right now, they are great for what I have to do. As they wear out, or as I get more creative, I order other stuff online.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo0676

I don't really mind the rounds. I got the paisley though and the sides are not straight on those either. Very annoying because I had to add tons of extra icing to even it all out.

when I used my square set I had to carve the sides, what a pain.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #37 of 51

I have a set of Wilton round pans, and I think they're pretty okay. I haven't used my new ML set yet though, so I guess I'll report back when I can better compare.

I used my Wilton square set for the first time this weekend, and I was pretty disappointed with how angled the sides are, however, I made due and tried to trim them the best that I could. I think since I'm just a hobby baker, they aren't ideal, but they are fine. If I had a business and ever had to do more than 2-3 cakes a week, I wouldn't put up with it for very long.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #38 of 51

Texas_Rose - Yes I do get paid to promote Wilton but I am brutally honest with my students. If they ask me if they need a particular item and I don't think it is necessary I will tell them.

OMGitsaLisa- I am not taking it as a personal attack. I have seen so many posts on cake central about people trashing Wilton I just had to say something. I totally agree that there are some things that Wilton makes that aren't the greatest but do we have to constantly bash the company?

indydebi - As far as my saying goes, maybe it is the 'victorian era' but obviously you don't have the same morals, values and ethics I have.

Sagebrush- I was in Michael's today and picked up one of those gold pans and they are far from flimsy and being on the thin side. I thought they were nice pans for a newbie cake decorator.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

indydebi - As far as my saying goes, maybe it is the 'victorian era' but obviously you don't have the same morals, values and ethics I have.

Well, so much for "saying nothing at all." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #40 of 51

[quote="retaunton"]For many the Wilton stuff is their only choice as where they live there are no other options ....... Internet shopping is not always an option because of the high cost of shipping. ....... It doesn't cost a lot (especially with coupons from the large craft stores) .....quote]

I definitely agree on these points!!! That 50% off coupon that Michael's often offers has been wonderful for getting the more costly items at half price! I took my cake courses (Wilton Method Course 1 through 3) at Michael's and they highly encouraged, (all but insisted) that you use Wilton products. So, I wonder if they plan on weening out the Wilton Brand and even changing the methods of the Courses that they offer.....Hmmmm, something to ponder.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #41 of 51

I buy my pans at Michaels...reason being is I use the coupons and can get my pans at 1/2 price.

I just bought my diamond shaped and ovals, Pasiley....I had researched on line and they were like 45.00 plus shipping....this week they had 50% off coupons.

Im short 2 sq. pans now....as those were bought seperate. I wish they would sell more cake stuff though.

GixxerChick Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In my various positions in corporate america, we WANT our customers to tell us the bad stuff. How else can we fix it or make it better? ...............
Any company that doesn't want to hear the "not nice" comments about their product, doesn't give a dang about their customers to start with.

A GREAT example of that is Domino's Pizza!!!! Customers complained about how BAD their pizza was for years. The sauce, the crust, the meat, etc, etc..... What did Corporate Domino's do?.....THEY IMPROVED thier pizza!! New recipes for crust, sauce, better quality meats, etc! They went on television making commercials about how bad their pizza USED to be and how they listened to customer complaints and made changes for the better!!

So, thin4life, perhaps rather than getting angry about what others have to say about Wilton products, take some constructive criticism and suggest to Wilton that they make some improvements on behalf of customer satisfaction. icon_biggrin.gif

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #43 of 51

Yeah, I just really can't understand how someone would get so defensive about a *company* because it's not as if their feelings will be hurt. They're out to make money and pleasing the customers is the best way to do that. If the customers are unhappy, they *should* hear about it (and other potential customers, too, so they can at least be informed about their decision to purchase.) It's not like we're talking about poor little Sally who wore an ugly dress to school and we're going to hurt her feelings and make her cry by commenting on it. It's a company who should know that the customers are displeased with the quality of their products.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #44 of 51

True, Dominoes tried, but their pizza still tastes nasty! There is no difference between the old pizza and new. I think companies pretend to listen so that they can get people to buy things. I don't think Wilton ever pretended to be high end. I think their goal was to bring cake decorating to the masses. For what it is, it is good. I wouldn't expect Sylvia Weinstock to use it, but it is fine for the hobbyist. That being said, I don't understand why people are getting angry here.

GixxerChick Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

True, Dominoes tried, but their pizza still tastes nasty!

Personally....I don't even eat Domino's Pizza! shhh.gif

My point was this....Companies make changes and improvements in products based on comsumer opinions. Like the "Windows 7 was MY idea!" commercials. icon_lol.gif

If it wasn't for Wilton method classes and Wilton products, I, like many others, probably wouldn't have gotten into cake decorating. icon_smile.gif It's a relatively inexpensive and readily available brand for beginners just starting out in the business / hobby.

Granted, some of their products I simply don't care for. (I'd rather eat Play-Doh than Wilton Fondant tapedshut.gif ) Some of their products just aren't good quality thumbsdown.gif . However, I could say the exact same thing about any other Brand as well. Not EVERYONE likes EVERYTHING about EVERY BRAND.
So, I agree....what's the big deal?......There's no reason to be angry or offended by it at all! It's just a matter of personal preference and opinion, to which everyone is entitled! It is what it is. thumbs_up.gif Can I get a "AMEN"!?

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:20am
post #46 of 51

ummmmm.... what are MI ?????

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:10am
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

ummmmm.... what are MI ?????

I think you mean ML, which people would be using as an abbreviation for Magic Line. It's a high end brand of cake pans.

If that's not right, maybe someone shortened WMI to MI. WMI would be Wilton Method Instructor.

And if that's not it, then I'm just as confused as you are icon_lol.gif

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:18am
post #48 of 51

I am relatively new to this site...Wiltons fondant from Michaels was all I knew 2 years ago...since then i have tried so many other products from on line orders or other cake decorating stores...and in my area they are few and far between....i have always been amazed that nobody seems to like the taste of wilton fondant , for example....i am sure the instructors have received complaints on it....and for years it has remained the same...it is as if they dont care to listen to people and their opinions and make a new and improved product.....people continue to buy it because thats all they have available in their area....shame on wilton for that...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #49 of 51

I think everyone has the right to complain about a product. And I also feel if you want to see changes made it in you should take your complaint to the company. Of course we can look the world wide web and find all kinds of complaints about this and that and then some, but unless people are telling the company they aren't happy with the products the company isn't going to (know to) change things.

As a WMI, yes in class I am suppose to promote Wilton prodcuts. The craft stores offer the Wilton classes so they can sell products. So yes both of them want us promote the prodcuts. BUT I am also a person that uses alot of the products at home, and I will tell my students if they ask me about something I will be honest about it. There are several products I told them I wouldn't spend my money on.

So while I am a WMI, and while I do use *gasp* alot of Wilton products, I haven't sold my soul to them, nor will it.

As I have said before I do think alot of Wilton products serve their purpose. No matter what brand we are talking about, there is always other options out there, sometimes bigger and better (usually with a price tag) and sometimes they compair equally.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #50 of 51

Amen!

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #51 of 51

@ Texas Sugar. As a WMI Ditto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%