Chocolate Clay And Cricut - Desperate And Need Help Please!

Decorating By FlourChick Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm by FlourChick

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

Is anyone having success cutting chocolate clay with the Cricut? I've had some success if I keep what I'm cutting fairly large and not too detailed. As long as I can control the design I'm okay! Basically I'm rolling it as thin as I can, sticking it to the mat with a little crisco and then popping it into the freezer until it's stiff. Then I put it in the cutter and I usually get what I want.

Well, now I've got an order for cupcakes and sugar cookies with a logo on top. Since they're cupcakes I'm limited to a width of no more than 3". Earlier today I got immense help with getting the logo converted to an SVG. (I was hoping that would be my only hurdle-ha!)

My shtick is that I only use chocolate clay and never fondant or gum paste, etc (it's all over my website and I told the customer the logo would be chocolate clay, so I can't change it). So, after spending the better part of the day with my Cricut and not getting anything even remotely usable I'm getting a little desperate. Is there anything I can add to the clay that will stiffen it up? I was thinking of kneading in some gum paste.

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 9

There is a thread on here somewhere about using candy clay (nmodeling chocolate) with the cricut. Let me see if I can find it for you.

FlourChick Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

Tiggy-you're my guardian angel today! I'm going to look at the thread...

tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 9

Hope it helps! icon_smile.gif

FlourChick Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 9

I thought I'd come back and let people know what my progress has been. After literally spending the entire day attempting to get this cut in modeling chocolate using the Cricut and having no success, I PM'd a couple people, got some suggestions and then decided to try one last thing. My thought was to add some gumpaste to the modeling chocolate to dry it out and make it a bit stiffer. I did that and ran it through the Cricut, and it didn't work. Sigh. My final idea to try before (resorting to using rice paper as CakeCzar had suggested in a PM) was to let the modeling chocolate/gumpaste combo sit and really dry out. I left it out on the counter (uncovered) for 12 hours and then ran it through the Cricut this morning... and it worked! I'm attaching some pictures so that you can see what I ended up with.

I had the blade set at 6, the speed medium and the pressure on high.

(I've added the pictures, but they posted in reverse order for some reason. The first picture is the logo all cut out and removed from the excess choc/gumpaste. The second picture is several logos cut, but as you can see the last one was torn up. The final picture is to show how thin I rolled the choc/gp.)

Hopefully this will help someone else who may be trying something like this!
LL
LL
LL

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #7 of 9

Modeling Chocolate should give you that much trouble. PM either Tobias or I or give us a call. It might be the formula.

Jennifer

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 9

She meant should NOT give you that much trouble ... icon_biggrin.gif

Tobias

FlourChick Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you! I'll contact you later today. I'm up to my eyeballs in cake batter right now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%