How Do I Use An "impression Mat On Butter Cream Frostin

Decorating By toreylynn Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm by KHalstead

toreylynn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 8

i have a wedding cake on may 15th and the bride wants all buttercream the top and bottom tiers are the diamond pattern with pearl dragees @ each meeting point.... not sure how to go about this with buttercream but i am open to ANY suggestions i saw that some people used an impression mat, some used diamond cutters, just don't want to end up with a wedding cake disaster icon_wink.gif

7 replies
Tahleigh Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 8

I have used the diamond mat on buttercream. I just let it crust very well & then lightly used the mat. I dusted a little powdered sugar or cornstarch on the mat to keep it from sticking. Hope it works out for youicon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 8

I don't even dust mine, it doesn't stick as long as your icing is crusted well!!

Here are some cakes I've done with that impression mat

KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8

by the way, the last pic there with the blue ribbon had silver dragees at the intersection and I just used tweezers to hold them and push them into the icing...easy peasy

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 8

Sharon Zambito teaches this in her buttercream dvd. I suggest dusting the mat and using a well crusted bc.

toreylynn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 8

thank you so much everyone now i just have to order the impression you have any favorites and by the way khalstead your cakes are b e u tiful i hope mine turns out half as good lol

sweetiesbykim Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

I have that DVD and it's wonderful!!! BUT, I only use SMBC, so any experience in that? I even own the impression mat, but can only use it on fondant unless I find out otherwise! TIA icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8

you can try and refrigerate the smbc cake.......but I don't know......that stuff is so sticky!

Quote by @%username% on %date%