Photo Of My First Cake Order

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 1:58am by Chiababy

shearpamela Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 18

I'm having trouble figuring out how to post a photo in my topic so bear with me if it doesn't work the first time...
This is the WASC cake I was stressing about so much this week, it was for a bridal shower and her colors were teal and red. This was my first attempt at using a stencil too - talk about scary!
My first batch I dropped going into the oven - had to clean batter off the hot oven door and go back to the store to get more cake mix.
The second batch one of the cakes sunk in the middle and seemed underbaked, so I had to go back once again to the store.
The third batch I went with the 3D wedding cake recipe on this site, I was too afraid to try the WASC cake again since it sunk on me.
She is a Texas Tech graduate so we put the double T's on the side to surprise her - and she loved it, it was a big hit.
My scroll work is shaky and imperfect but she didn't seem to care - she said it exceeded her expectations so that was a relief!
I used Sharon Zambito's Buttercream recipe, Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe, and the strawberry filling recipe here - I was very happy with all of them and they were easy to work with.
I was done around 1:30 am and got paid 75.00, wouldn't have been so bad if so much had not gone wrong on me....
But I did learn a lot during the experience!

[/img]

17 replies
shearpamela Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 18

Obviously it didn't work - where is a tutorial on here for posting photos and adding attachments and images or url's?

ninatat Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 18

bring up you pic, right click, and pick paint, stretch and squew sp i usually put 50/50 or less, then right click send to where you want desktop where ever. sorry to hear you had such a hard time, but you were happy at the end good for you.

SandiOh Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 18

well you certainly did a good job with the stenciling...that is so hard to do esp with a bright color.

shearpamela Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 18

My first cake order, finally figured out how to upload the photo of it!
It was a fiasco but worthwhile and fun in the end.
LL

ivymeister Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #6 of 18

WOW! It looks really great! Stencils huh! Is it hard!? I always see them but...ugh...afriad..

Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 18

Very Nice! I like it icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearpamela

Obviously it didn't work - where is a tutorial on here for posting photos and adding attachments and images or url's?

I always just load my pictures on Photobucket and then use the [img] tag to put them on here. IMO, its 100 times easier.

The cake looks beautiful, by the way icon_smile.gif

pearlydi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #9 of 18

Great job!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 18

WOW!! Look at that!!! It's gorgeous!!! Congrats!! icon_biggrin.gif

TucsonGina Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #11 of 18

Looks good to me . . . We tend to look more at what's wrong than everything that is right! icon_biggrin.gif

jackmo Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #12 of 18

beautiful!!! you did a awesome job!

shearpamela Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Using a stencil for the first time was very scary - even more so because the icing was red. After everything that went wrong with my cakes between sinking and dropping, once i got it filled and iced with the fondant on it - I felt like I was almost home free.
For awhile I just stood there looking at it trying to muster up the courage to do the red buttercream with the stencil!! I knew that if I screwed it up It was over, so I went very slow and tried to apply the icing in an even thickness while holding the stencil in place. Then I took it off very slowly.
I wanted to use RI but i read it was harder to tint red and she wanted a pure red color. Another thing I learned was to tint the icing a couple of days ahead of time - it was pinkish at first and deepened in color overnight.
All in All it was fun and got good feedback and that feels great to hear. I do need to practice my freehand piping skills, I was a bit shaky and it sure shows!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 18

This is a very lovely cake! I love the colors and the stencil look amazing. Great work icon_smile.gif

scociny Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 18

Great job! Stencils scare me alot!

ArtieTs Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 18

You are a brave sole to work with a stencil. You did a great job for your 1st time. thumbs_up.gif

HauteCoutureCookies Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 18

I like it. Stenciling in red would scare anybody I'm sure. Great job!

Chiababy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #18 of 18

It looks beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%