Is Basketweave Possible With Whipped Cream Frosting?

Decorating By pooky1969 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:49am by pooky1969

pooky1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooky1969 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

I have a customer that would like an Easter basket cake, pound cake with fresh strawberries for filling, but she would like whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream.
Will whipped cream frosting hold up to the basketweave design? I was thinking of adding some cream cheese to the whipped cream thinking that would make it more stable.
Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

6 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 7

Absolutely! Have done it myself, several times. Just make sure it's whipped up to the stiff consistency.
I've tried a cream cheese/whipped cream mix - it tastes DELISH, but is actually (I find) less firm than straight whipped cream.
If you want to stiffen up your WC a little, add some instant vanilla or white choc, or cheesecake (yum!) pudding mix, (1/2 packet for 2-3 cups of heavy cream) or Oetker's Whip It Stabilizer (in grocery store, by the pudding & Dream Whip, a little white packet)
Here's one I did...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333311

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Can't beat whipped cream + strawberries!!! mmmmm....

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 7

You can always do the contempo. basketweave that Martha Stewart has done! it looks pretty. I tried it once on my top cake in one of my wilton classes....

I did it on my 6" cake....just ice and then take a hot knife and have the curve of the knife down, and just slide it across the cake....

Martha Stewarts was prettier of course!!! lol
LL

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 7

I have done it with whipped cream by adding piping gel as a stabilizer. You can use gelatin softened in water and then add to beaten cream. It holds up for the day as long as it is kept refrigerated until ready to serve.

pooky1969 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

I know this is late but I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I did add the pudding mix to the cream cheese and whipped cream as DJS328 suggested...Thank you so much!!
LL

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

Looks great! (I bet it tasted yummy, too! icon_smile.gif
Were the eggs fondant? If so, what kind did you use? I have had little success with fondant + WC...it tends to soften and turn to mush on me, due to the moisture in the WC, I assume...any tips on that?? icon_smile.gif

pooky1969 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

Thank you!

I did use fondant for the eggs. I haven't made my own fondant yet, so I used the Wilton colored fondant (the 4 pack). I'm going to try to make my own mmf for a cake order that I have next week, the whole cake will be covered in fondant, which I've haven't had an order for yet. Figured it would be cheaper to make my own since I will be using a large quantity. I've always used BC or whipped cream. Wish me luck!

The customer that ordered this cake didn't mention anything of the fondant getting mushy. Sorry I don't have an answer for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%