Stacking First Wedding Cake.

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm by tesso

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 12

i have a 3tier stacked wedding cake (my first) to do in a couple of weeks. iv just done 2tiers and transported it without a center dowel and no problems. i dont feel happy using a center dowel and cant get SPS in england. can i transport it fully assembled with no center dowel? im also the bridesmaid and want to have as much done before i leave as possible, theres not much time for set up on site, maybe half hour at the most!! any ideas? TIA

11 replies
sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 12

What don't you like about using a center dowel rod? Do you have to travel a long distance to deliver the cake?

katies_cakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 12

I dont have to travel far, only about 1mile. i can only find thick plastic cake dowels in my area, and they are not long enough to go through an entire cake. also i have heard that the cake can split when using a center dowel so im worried, also not sure if it would go through the thin cake boards between each tier. really just unsure about it all.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 12

You really should use a center dowel. Where are you located that you can't find one?? 3 tiers isn't really that tall. Maybe you can order one? Sharpen it with a pencil sharpener and tap it through with a hammer. Your cake won't split.

katies_cakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 12

Im in england but im in a rural location. i have to travel just to find the basics. each of my tiers are around 4 1/2 to 5" tall usually. i also cant find cardboard cake circles and have been told to use thin cake boards instead. would a dowel go through them? where does everyone get long wooden dowels from? maybe im looking in the wrong places.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12

I get the long wooden dowels from the craft store, in the cake section. I think wilton makes them?? Sharpen them, and yes, they will go through the cardboard quite easily.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #7 of 12

Just a thought - --

I bought a couple from the hardware store to help me roll out my cookie dough evenly. Do you have a hardware store? They sell them pretty darn long and in several diameters. Maybe this would be easier if a craft store doesn't work.

If you are terribly frantic about hammering the dowel through all 3 tiers...what about just the bottom two & then when you get to the venue all you have to do is place the top smallest tier in place.

I'm not an expert on caking...just thought I'd give my perspective. I'd be nervous as well. When you don't have a ton of experience on your side, it can be overwhelming!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:12am
post #8 of 12

You can buy dowels at the hardware store. I use the plastic dowels to support the tiers but just the plain wooden ones for the center dowel. The easiest way to sharpen it is to use a pencil sharpener that has never been used for pencils. They go through foamboard easily (with the hammer that is), but if you're using boards that are more like pressed wood or particle board then you'd need to make a hole in the center first.

katies_cakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:42am
post #9 of 12

Thank you everyone! im going to keep looking for a long dowel then, i have a 3tier birthday cake in 2weeks that doesnt need transporting, i might put a dowel through that as a practice for the wedding. so if i use a center dowel i can have the cake compleatly ready before i leave the house, decorations and everything too? sorry for all the questions im still learning and im so nervous about my first wedding cake!! thank you.

margi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margi24 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 12

hi, i too have my 1st 3tier wedding cake to do for my brother in may. Im also from the UK can i ask where you get your recipes suitable for wedding cakes from (i do not want to do fruit cake) also your fillings im having trouble converting US recipes to UK ? Any advice would be a huge help, thanks

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 12

If u are in the uk, look up the British balloon sugar ballon craft balloon guild - miss the balloons!l

try ur library for some recipe and cake books - certainly in Edinburgh they have lots of popular ones. But for sponge your traditional options are victoria or maderia, and just jams and/ or flavoured bc to fill.

I don't have fair in the center dowel either. It can work. But then, if the worst happens, rather than a tier falling off and maybe getting bashed, it will get ripped in two. Stack properly and drive carefully whatever u do icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by margi24

hi, i too have my 1st 3tier wedding cake to do for my brother in may. Im also from the UK can i ask where you get your recipes suitable for wedding cakes from (i do not want to do fruit cake) also your fillings im having trouble converting US recipes to UK ? Any advice would be a huge help, thanks

What part are you having trouble with in the conversions is it measurements or ingredients? If it is measurements then I have help for you... http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm this place is the best ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%