Best Advice/lesson Learned......

Lounge By Lita829 Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm by Lita829

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #31 of 44

From my grandmother. "Believe half of what you see and nothing that you hear." She also said "If you want something said, you ask a man. If you want something done, you ask a woman." I really do miss that woman icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:33am
post #32 of 44

Slap a smile on your face and never sweat the small stuff.

Trust your judgement, and know when to walk away.

And the one I am most adamant about: Don't ask my opinion if you really don't want the truth. I will sugar coat it as best as possible but the truth is still hard to swallow.

tahloola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tahloola Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:37am
post #33 of 44

My Mom used to always say "perfume should be discovered not announced". You don't know how many times I wanted to print that on business cards and hand them out to people!!
My Dad used to ALWAYS say "engage the brain before you run off at the mouth", I guess I was a bit of a talker, LOL.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #34 of 44

This is awesome...such wise words of wisdom from our CC family icon_smile.gif . Thanks for the kind works, kiwigal. Thanks for showing me the brighter side of my situation icon_wink.gif I guess it is a blessing that I've never experienced the pain of divorce but most good-bys aren't easy. Especially if you really loved that person. But some good-bys...don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mamawrobin...your grandmother was a wise woman. So true...so true.

Tesso...great words of wisdom. I always try to trust my judgement but the walking away part is always hard for me...especially if it is someone I really care about icon_redface.gif . But I am developing thicker skin...being jaded will do that for ya icon_lol.gif

tahoola...your father is so right. I tend not to have a filter between my brain and my mouth and I can't tell you the number of times that my foot has acted as a stop cork. In my old age...a filter is starting to develop icon_wink.gif

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #35 of 44

Hi to everyone. This is my first time posting here on CC. Have been lingering for a while though. Here are a few that I came up with and live by.

"Always live and behave in a manner that if something bad is said about you, no one will believe it."

"Never put your marriage on "automatic". It needs all hands on deck at ALL times."

"Any time spent with loved ones (children) is quality time, so, quantity does matter."

Hope you like them.

Lita829 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #36 of 44

Welcome, Maluisa icon_smile.gif You will absolutely love this site! Not only are there wise people here but very talented and generous with advice about everything....baking, decorating, and life.

From your post, you are also very wise. I think that your words of wisdom show that . I agree with everything you said. Not to brag but people always tell me that I don't look 36 years old. A man that I was friends with said that I look so young because of the way I live my life. I like low to no drama. I can't control other's actions...only my own so I try not to bring it. Don't get me wrong...I have acted a fool at one time or another in my life but I don't like to when some thrive off of drama. The advice about keeping your marriage off of autopilot was a great analogy. I've never been married but I believe that you should treat a marriage like a job or hobby that you love. Work hard and never neglect it...you only get out of it what you put in.

I hope that you enjoy the Cake Central community as much as I do icon_smile.gif

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #37 of 44

Best thing I ever heard was "this too shall pass". It has helped me get thru many a trying thing!

Lita829 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #38 of 44

Good one, Butterpatty! I motto I also live by. Faith is a powerful thing. They can't hold me down forever.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:21am
post #39 of 44

the oldie but goldie... learn from your mistakes! like emily, please next time you are making morracon roast veg soup, you need to boil the vegies BEFORE you roast them, if you just roast them, they will be crsipy and useless... yummy.. but you aint gonna get soup outta it.=)

another favorite of mine..

dream. believe. achieve. succeed. i try to live by this one. seeing as im such a big dreamer.=)

And this isnt really a catchy saying, but a;ways be the bigger person. Let people say what they want, and do what they want, dont fall to their level.
its sooo hard, but its really worth it.

dont dwell on the past. this is defiantly a biggie for me. havnt quite mastered it yet.. getting there tho.=)

then,m these are lyrics froma beautiful song;

always love, hate will get you everytime, always love, dont wait till the finish line.

annnd last one!

dance like no-one is watching
sing like no-one can hear you
love like yoyve never been hurt
work as though you dont need the money
live as though heaven is on earth

Lita829 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:42pm
post #40 of 44

WOW...they are awesome words to live by, noahsmummy. Learning for one's mistakes shows maturity and growth so I couldn't agree with you more. I think that someone's signature line states that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" (or something like that).

Don't feel bad about being an optimist and a dreamer...you are not alone...my head is always in the clouds icon_smile.gif Goals give you something to strive and live for....whether it be to become a wife and mother, to be an doctor, lawyer, baker....etc, or ALL THE ABOVE.

Your so right about being the bigger person and not letting people pull you down. That one can be challanging when you know you've been wronged.

It's ironic what you said about dwelling on the past. In the movie "The DaVinci Code" (I've seen that movie a zillion times icon_redface.gif ) there was a quote that I've adopted...I see nothing good from looking to the past". Sure...learn from it but move beyond it.

It feels better to love, but for most hate is easier than love. Most people need someone to hate. Personally....I don't liket the feeling that hating someone brings. The heat, the tightness in the head and chest, the feeling that you are about to snap and pounce. I've learned to let go of the hate that I had for certian individuals who've done me wrong. I think that they should get theirs but I don't feel the aches that come along with hating someone can bring.

I don't mean to do a commentary on everyone's post icon_redface.gif but I just love the that there are so many wise people on this site and I like discussions.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #41 of 44

oh dont be sorry! good to se your keeping track! =)

and yes, its so difficult when you know you have been wronged to just keep your mouth shut. I just remind myself that they didnt get it the first time i explained it, it isnt worth me wasting anymore time on them.
same for the hate thing. although, that is extremly difficult. i think alot of the time its time that we need! i think people need to go through the hating stage to learn from it and how to be a better person, and (in my case) how to pick a better person...lol.
but yes, there definantly comes a time when we need to let go of the hate and let go of the past.

the past is good for a visit, but i wouldnt want to live there. (and try not to..icon_wink.gif)

Lita829 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

oh dont be sorry! good to se your keeping track! =)

and yes, its so difficult when you know you have been wronged to just keep your mouth shut. I just remind myself that they didnt get it the first time i explained it, it isnt worth me wasting anymore time on them.
same for the hate thing. although, that is extremly difficult. i think alot of the time its time that we need! i think people need to go through the hating stage to learn from it and how to be a better person, and (in my case) how to pick a better person...lol.
but yes, there definantly comes a time when we need to let go of the hate and let go of the past.

the past is good for a visit, but i wouldnt want to live there. (and try not to..icon_wink.gif)

You're right thumbs_up.gif

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #43 of 44

Just heard this one today on a morning radio show while taking my husband to work. The topic being discussed was the ever popular Tiger Woods, his new Nike commercial and the admonishing he got from the head of the golf club or whatever it is the guy is from.

A listener commented:

"If my children or grandchildren are looking to Tiger Woods for moral values or a as role model then I have failed."

I think we can replace the name Tiger Woods with that of any celebrity or famous person.

Lita829 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluisa

Just heard this one today on a morning radio show while taking my husband to work. The topic being discussed was the ever popular Tiger Woods, his new Nike commercial and the admonishing he got from the head of the golf club or whatever it is the guy is from.

A listener commented:

"If my children or grandchildren are looking to Tiger Woods for moral values or a as role model then I have failed."

I think we can replace the name Tiger Woods with that of any celebrity or famous person.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. If more parents did their jobs of parenting then their children wouldn't need to look to celebrities/famous people for moral, ethical, or any other kind of guidance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%